Heres why men like to marry women almost half their ageDecember 5th, 2007 - 12:23 pm ICT by admin
London, Dec 5 (ANI): Ever wondered why men like to marry women who are years younger them? Well, you can now give your mind a rest, for a study has found that men prefer young women due to their high fertility.
The study, led by Dr Samuli Helle, University of Turku, has found that young women prefer older men because of their wealth and high social status, which makes them good providers for the offspring.
The finding was made with the help of a study of the nomadic Sami, the reindeer people of Finland.
Finnish parish records from the 17th to 19th century on three Sami populations. For their livelihood, they depended on reindeer herding, fishing and hunting, make it possible for researchers to unravel the effects of medical progress on the number and life span of Sami men who married only once.
From the analysis, the scientists found that the men maximized their evolutionary fitness, i.e. ability to pass on their genes to future generations, by marrying women who were 14.6 years younger, and vice versa.
“Those men had the highest number of offspring surviving to adulthood,” Telegraph quoted Helle, as saying.
“Young Sami women were the most fertile and had the highest reproductive value, whereas older Sami men had acquired enough skills needed for successful hunting, fishing and reindeer herding and, most importantly, wealth to be good providers for the progeny and thus desirable mates,” the researchers said.
However, it was found that most couples failed to marry with the huge age difference, usually settled for a small difference. This suggested that there were social factors at work too, so that Sami society frowned as much on a big age difference as we do today.
The study is published in the journal Biology Letters. (ANI)
- Women may not hesitate marrying low income men - Apr 08, 2012
- Kerala women fish vendors don't know of birds and bees - Sep 09, 2012
- Women will be more fertile in 40s, says study - Jul 23, 2010
- Of unobtrusive security and women who wear the pants (Letter from Helsinki) - Sep 12, 2010
- Stressed out men prefer larger women, study shows - Aug 09, 2012
- Young man, older woman: Relationship rules changing - Nov 08, 2011
- Older women preying on young men? That's a myth - Aug 20, 2010
- Study reveals that 'Modern Men Prefer Brains to Looks' - Sep 10, 2012
- Financially independent women 'seek older, more attractive male partners' - Dec 11, 2010
- Cougars die young, but sugar daddies live longer - May 17, 2010
- People with sense of humour more attractive - Aug 06, 2012
- Study: Women more likely to have fertility problems at 35 - Jan 28, 2011
- Why women prefer calm and composed men - Sep 15, 2010
- When men outnumber women, females marry younger - Sep 16, 2010
- Older elephants are better leaders - Mar 16, 2011
Tags: age difference, evolutionary fitness, future generations, journal biology, life span, marry women, medical progress, nomadic, offspring, older men, people of finland, reindeer, sami, social factors, suggested that there, university of turku, vice versa, women prefer, young women