Hepatitis toll in north Gujarat touches 35February 21st, 2009 - 11:22 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, Feb 21 (IANS) Three more deaths from the Hepatitis B virus were reported in Sabarkantha district of north Gujarat Saturday, taking the toll to 35, a health official said.
Sabarkantha chief district health officer (CDHO) H.F. Patel said 11 fresh cases were also detected Saturday.
Of the 119 Hepatitis B cases detected so far, 22 patients have been discharged after treatment, Patel told IANS on telephone.
Asked if situation was under control, Patel said: “Nothing can be said at the moment. The virus has mutated. And since its incubation period is six months, one has to wait and see and take preventive measures.”
He said Health Minister Jaynarayan Vyas had visited Modasa town Saturday and ordered a mass immunisation drive, which will be launched in a couple of days.
Cases of registered medical practioners (RMPs) using syringes without sterilising them could be the most likely cause for the spread of the virus, the official said, adding that police complaints have been filed against eight doctors and three of them have been arrested so far.
- Hepatitis-B toll rises to 16 in Gujarat sub-district - Feb 16, 2009
- Eleven die of hepatitis-D in Gujarat district - Feb 13, 2009
- Hepatitis could kill 5 mn in Southeast Asia: WHO - Jul 24, 2012
- Beware! You may be more vulnerable to hepatitis than you think (July 28 is World Hepatitis Day) - Jul 27, 2012
- Hepatitis awareness programme launched for Mumbai slums - Jul 28, 2012
- Hepatitis outbreak in Gujarat under control: Minister - Feb 14, 2009
- Lethal virus not spreading in Gujarat, says minister - Jan 20, 2011
- Warehouses raided, sealed in Gujarat after hepatitis-B outbreak - Mar 01, 2009
- Medical teams sent to hepatitis-B hit Gujarat area: Congress - Feb 16, 2009
- Fancy a tattoo? Beware of hepatitis virus (July 28 is World Hepatitis Day) - Jul 28, 2011
- 80 percent of Jakarta adults had Hepatitis A - Nov 11, 2011
- Hepatitis B immunisation in India from April 1: Ramadoss - Feb 25, 2009
- 650,000 to get Hepatitis B vaccine in Tripura by 2011 - Nov 22, 2010
- Agartala kicks off mission to become Hepatitis free - Apr 15, 2012
- '40 million infected with Hepatitis B in India' - Jul 26, 2011
Tags: couple of days, deaths, district health officer, doctors, health minister, health official, hepatitis, hepatitis b, hepatitis b virus, incubation period, mass immunisation, medical practioners, north gujarat, police complaints, preventive measures, six months, syringes, vyas