Hepatitis B immunisation in India from April 1: RamadossFebruary 25th, 2009 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 25 (IANS) The central government Wednesday urged states to launch a mass awareness and immunisation campaign starting April 1 following 46 deaths due to Hepatitis B virus infection in Gujarat.
Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss said till Monday about 140 cases of Hepitities B positive cases were detected and 46 deaths were reported in Sabarkantha district of the state in the past two weeks.
He said the Gujarat government has already launched a massive immunisation drive against the life threatening liver infection virus outbreak.
“They have already immunised 65,000 people and have also launched an awareness campaign,” Ramadoss told reporters at the inauguration of the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research at the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital here.
The health minister said they are also popularising the benefits of the auto-disabled syringes in the country to ensure that such infection do not recur.
“We have sent circulars to all state governments urging them to launch an immunisation and mass awareness campaign starting April 1,” he said.
He said a team from the National Institute of Communicable Diseases, Director General of Health Services and All India Institute of Medical Sciences were working in Gujarat and are helping the state government to take control of the situation.
“The aim now is to find the source of this infection,” he said.
He also said the state government has filed an FIR against eight doctors for negligence of the hepatitis-B outbreak. Three were arrested for using unsterilised and used syringes that was considered to be the cause of the outbreak.
- Hepatitis awareness programme launched for Mumbai slums - Jul 28, 2012
- Ensure Hepatitis-B vaccine in hospitals, Uttar Pradesh told (Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Judge's complaint on Hepatitis-B to be heard as PIL - Apr 15, 2011
- Fancy a tattoo? Beware of hepatitis virus (July 28 is World Hepatitis Day) - Jul 28, 2011
- Hepatitis could kill 5 mn in Southeast Asia: WHO - Jul 24, 2012
- 650,000 to get Hepatitis B vaccine in Tripura by 2011 - Nov 22, 2010
- Beware! You may be more vulnerable to hepatitis than you think (July 28 is World Hepatitis Day) - Jul 27, 2012
- Agartala kicks off mission to become Hepatitis free - Apr 15, 2012
- 9 in 10 Delhiites still need to be vaccinated against Hepatitis B Virus: Experts - Dec 04, 2010
- Residents of Modassa blame Gujarat Govt. for spread of Hepatitis B - Feb 22, 2009
- Tripura launches 'at birth vaccination' for Hepatitis B - Jan 07, 2011
- Eleven die of hepatitis-D in Gujarat district - Feb 13, 2009
- Hepatitis-B toll rises to 16 in Gujarat sub-district - Feb 16, 2009
- '40 million infected with Hepatitis B in India' - Jul 26, 2011
- Hepatitis B death toll in Gujarat rises to 60 - Mar 02, 2009
Tags: all india institute of medical sciences, anbumani ramadoss, awareness campaign, central government, circulars, communicable diseases, graduate institute, gujarat government, health minister, hepatitis b, hepatitis b immunisation, hepatitis b virus, hepatitis b virus infection, india institute, liver infection, medical education, post graduate, state governments, syringes, virus outbreak