Healthy baby born from embryo frozen 20 years agoOctober 11th, 2010 - 1:45 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 11 (ANI): A healthy baby has been born from a frozen embryo that is twenty years old, potentially giving women the chance to put off motherhood until their forties or fifties.
It is the longest time a fertilised egg has been stored before developing into a healthy baby, reports the Daily Mail.
The newborn’s 42-year-old mother, who lives in the U.S., had undergone ten years of IVF but was unable to conceive.
But last year a frozen embryo - created by another couple - was implanted into her womb and in May she gave birth to a boy weighing 6lb 15oz.
The embryo was created with four others when the couple were having successful IVF treatment in 1990
When one was successfully implanted, they donated the other four for ‘adoption’ and they were frozen.
Two decades later the four embryos were offered to the 42-year-old woman and her husband at the U.S. clinic where they were undergoing fertility treatment.
Only two embryos survived the thawing process and they were planted in the woman’s womb. One survived, and the pregnancy went full term.
This scientific breakthrough could eventually lead to thousands of women having children in middle age. (ANI)
- Healthy baby conceived from 20-year-old embryo - Oct 11, 2010
- New IVF test trebles chance of healthy baby - Oct 27, 2010
- IVF babies from frozen embryos healthier - Jan 09, 2012
- IVF breakthrough boosts pregnancy chances - Oct 13, 2010
- 57-yr-old becomes UK's oldest surrogate mum by giving birth to own grandson - Feb 26, 2011
- New fertility treatment gives fresh hope to IVF women - Jan 03, 2011
- India becoming a designer baby factory: Author Kishwar Desai (With Image) - May 31, 2012
- Study finds 1 embryo 'better than two in IVF' - Dec 22, 2010
- New test 'to triple' chances of IVF success - Nov 08, 2010
- IVF clinics mushroom under toothless ICMR guidelines (Feature) - Oct 19, 2011
- Stress, hectic lifestyle raises IVF demand - Sep 03, 2011
- Octomom Nadya Suleman 'had 12 embryos implanted' - Oct 19, 2010
- Soya- egg yolk mix helps UK mum give birth after 3 miscarriages, failed IVF - May 02, 2011
- Womb transplants possible next year: Expert - Mar 27, 2011
- British pioneer of In Vitro Fertilization wins Nobel Prize - Oct 04, 2010
Tags: adoption, daily mail, embryos, fertilised egg, fertility treatment, fifties, forties, frozen embryo, having children, ivf treatment, longest time, middle age, motherhood, oct 11, old mother, old woman, pregnancy, scientific breakthrough, twenty years, womb