Hair extensions can lead to baldnessJanuary 2nd, 2009 - 1:02 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 2 (ANI): Hair extensions, which are attached to real tresses with glue, can make women go bald, skin experts have warned.
According to researchers from American and Italian universities, the hairpieces, favoured by celebrities such as Paris Hilton, can lead to thinning hair and even permanent bald patches.
Dermatologists say the extensions put too much tension on hair roots.
Experts say the extensions put such tension on follicles in the scalp that they can become inflamed causing hair to fall out - a condition known as traction alopecia, reports the Daily Star.
The study has been published in the British Journal of Dermatology.
Fears over the growing use of extensions first hit the headlines two years ago, when Victoria Beckham was photographed with a sizeable bald patch after years of sporting false hair.
Kate Beckinsale, Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears have also all been spotted with thinning hair after using extensions.
Now experts are calling for a ban on the extensions. Hair specialist Barry Stevens from the Trichological Society said: This is a very real problem. Extensions should be banned.
Ive had people in tears at my clinic over this. The extensions can destroy the follicles so that hair cannot grow back. (ANI)
- Having "dream hair" could lead to baldness - Mar 18, 2010
- Discovery to help balding men regrow hair - Jun 26, 2012
- Naomi Campbell Going Bald In Certain Portions Of Her Head - Jul 03, 2010
- Hair extensions could leave you with bald spots - Jan 26, 2010
- Malaysian society committed to fighting hair loss gains popularity! - May 23, 2010
- 'Dangerous' hair extensions should be banned, say UK experts - Feb 07, 2010
- Keep that hair silky, bouncy in winter - Nov 22, 2011
- Bringing your crowning glory back - the Sehwag, Kallis way! - May 11, 2011
- Naomi Campbell Turning Bald? - Jul 03, 2010
- Bald Miss Delaware to take part in Miss America beauty pageant - Jan 06, 2011
- Genetic discovery could lead to baldness cure - Jul 02, 2010
- Coleen Rooney's thinning patch caused by hair extensions? - Feb 05, 2011
- Boffins identify genes contributing to skin disease that triggers hair loss - Jul 05, 2010
- Naomi Campbell's photo reveals shocking bald patches - Aug 09, 2012
- Scarring hair loss in African-American women attributed to hairstyles - Apr 12, 2011
Tags: alopecia, bald patch, bald patches, bald skin, baldness, britney spears, christina aguilera, christina aguilera and britney spears, false hair, follicles, hair extensions, hair roots, hair specialist, italian universities, kate beckinsale, london jan, paris hilton, thinning hair, tresses, victoria beckham