Grapefruit diet and the Pill ‘don’t mix’April 3rd, 2009 - 12:53 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr (ANI): Too much grapefruit can swell the risk of blood clots from the Pill, it has been claimed.
American doctors have reported that a woman who went on an intense grapefruit-based diet developed a blood clot in her leg and risked losing the limb.
The case, reported in the Lancet medical journal, said that the unnamed woman came to the casualty department of the Providence St Peter Hospital in Olympia, Washington state after she had problems walking, shortness of breath and felt light-headed, The BBC reported.
By the next day her left leg had turned purple.
The day before, she had gone on a long car journey, after which she felt pain radiating from her lower back down to her left ankle.
Three days before falling ill, she had begun a crash diet which included eating 225g of grapefruit each morning, after rarely eating the fruit in the past.
When medics examined her, an ultrasound scan confirmed the woman had a large blood clot within the veins of her left leg.
Surgeons quickly realised she was in danger of losing her leg to gangrene and put clot-busting medication directly into the blockage, dissolving it.
They told the woman to stop taking the Pill immediately because oestrogen could increase the risk of blood clots.
Writing in the Lancet, the authors led by Dr Lucinda Grande, called it a “constellation of potential risk factors”.
But they added: “The increased [oestrogen] serum concentration due to her three days of grapefruit for breakfast may well have tipped the balance.”
They suggest the fruit blocked the action of a key enzyme that normally breaks down the form of oestrogen in her contraceptive. (ANI)
- Menstruation ups knee injury risks, contraceptive pill protects - Apr 28, 2011
- Some pills more likely to cause blood clots - Oct 26, 2011
- New contraceptive pills 'likelier to double blood clot risk' - Apr 22, 2011
- Gabor's husband allows leg amputation - Jan 09, 2011
- Gabor doesn't know about amputation! - Jan 18, 2011
- Third generation contraceptive pills much riskier - Apr 22, 2011
- Zsa Zsa Gabor does not know her leg has been amputated - Jan 17, 2011
- Grapefruit juice boosts cancer drugs' efficacy - Aug 08, 2012
- Gabor refuses second leg amputation - Mar 05, 2011
- Doctors Perpetrate The Amputation Of Zsa Zsa Gabor’s Right Leg - Jan 15, 2011
- Cholesterol-lowering drugs may improve blood flow after stroke - Apr 27, 2011
- Britain's fattest orangutan Oshine loses 20 kg after being put on a diet - Jul 30, 2011
- Gabor undergoes leg amputation surgery - Jan 15, 2011
- Docs 'want to amputate Zsa Zsa Gabor's second leg' - Mar 04, 2011
- Oz docs urge air travellers not to pop sleeping pills - Jul 27, 2010
Tags: american doctors, blood clot, blood clots, car journey, casualty department, constellation, crash diet, grapefruit diet, lancet medical journal, left ankle, left leg, lucinda, medics, olympia washington, providence st, risk factors, serum concentration, shortness of breath, st peter, ultrasound scan