Gorakhpur flooded with rainwaterJuly 24th, 2008 - 3:53 pm ICT by ANI
Gorakhpur, July 24 (ANI): Incessant rains have caused flooding in several villages across Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh.
Rising water levels in the Ghaghra and Kuano rivers has flooded the several villages causing massive loss to crops and property.
According to reports, floodwaters have cut off hundreds of villages.
Villagers complain that their villages are inundated for the past one-week and fear an outbreak of water-borne diseases.
“Water is all around us. There is no drinking water, no food and no oil to cook. If the government or the God do not come to our rescue soon, we will all die,” said Nikshed, a villager.
Villagers said that snakes and other reptiles frequent the floodwaters in search of safer habitats.
Meanwhile, the authorities said that they were making best efforts to reach out to the affected villages and provide relief material.
“Today in Gorakhpur, about five villages are completely flooded and have been cut off from the mainland. We have ordered relief material to these areas and there is no communication with another village,” said P.K. Mohanty, Commissioner, Gorakhpur.
Five rivers in the region, the Sharda, the Ghagra, the Rapti, the Budhi Rapti and the Kuano have crossed the red mark and are flowing above the danger level. (ANI)
- Seven UP rivers in spate - Aug 08, 2012
- UP government distributes relief material to flood affected - Aug 23, 2009
- Floods cripple life in Gorakhpur - Aug 03, 2008
- Floods claim seven lives in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 20, 2009
- Rains, floods kill 115 in Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand - Aug 19, 2011
- Incessant rains cause flash floods in Jammu - Aug 08, 2010
- Floods threaten large swathes of north India (Roundup) - Aug 25, 2010
- Thousands displaced by floods in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 05, 2008
- Uttar Pradesh rivers in spate - Jul 01, 2011
- Floods displace thousands in Gorakhpur - Sep 26, 2008
- Rains to slow, flooding rivers will recede - Jul 30, 2011
- Floods, landslides kill 130 in Bangladesh - Jul 12, 2012
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- Nearly 100 Bihar villages flooded, rivers rising - Jul 02, 2011
- Rivers near danger mark in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: best efforts, danger level, drinking water, five rivers, ghaghra, ghagra, habitats, incessant rains, massive loss, mohanty, outbreak, rainwater, rapti, relief material, rising water, sharda, snakes, villager, water borne diseases, water levels