Google’s new apps to help the blind navigateOctober 13th, 2010 - 1:58 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Oct 13 (ANI): Google has released two new applications that would help blind users of their Android smartphones navigate the world.
The Walky Talky app gives audio walking directions to the user. Unlike the standard Navigation app, it also calls out street addresses as you pass them, helping the user keep their bearings when travelling in unfamiliar areas, reports the New York Daily News.
T.V. Raman of Google, who lost his site to glaucoma at age 14, wrote on his blog Eyes-Free Android, “These spoken updates, in conjunction with the walking directions that are spoken by Google Maps help me navigate the physical world as efficiently as I navigate the Internet.”
Another new app, Intersection Explorer, also helps users feel comfortable in new locations by allowing them to explore and learn the layout of a neighbourhood on their phone before stepping foot outside.
The user hears directions and locations as they move their finger over the map on the screen.
J.J. Meddaugh of ATguys.com posted his reaction saying: “This is really awesome, and I especially appreciate the ability to explore my surroundings. The approach is quite innovative.” (ANI)
- Google launches unified digital content store - Mar 07, 2012
- New navigation app gives you the liberty to explore - Sep 12, 2010
- Now, an iPhone app to find parking spots! - Feb 27, 2011
- Beware: Ads in mobile apps fraught with security risk - Mar 20, 2012
- Google glasses offer email, video chat - Apr 05, 2012
- Reliance Communications to market Android devices in India - Apr 16, 2012
- Google launches the 'Apps Marketplace' - Mar 10, 2010
- Google acquires Nik Software - Sep 18, 2012
- NAVVIS to help navigate building interiors - Sep 18, 2012
- Google app shows colliding protons in real time - Oct 10, 2011
- New mobile app developed to monitor data theft - Jul 06, 2012
- Now smartphones will help you navigate mega malls - May 13, 2012
- Google buys Instagram rival Snapseed - Sep 18, 2012
- YouTube launches iPhone app with advertisements - Sep 12, 2012
- Google opens online store for Android users - Feb 03, 2011
Tags: android, bearings, blind users, conjunction, glaucoma, google, google maps, intersection, map, neighbourhood, new york daily news, street addresses, surroundings, t v raman, unfamiliar areas, york daily news