Google malfunction leads to all sites being branded dangerous spamFebruary 1st, 2009 - 1:18 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Feb 1 (ANI): For 40 minutes yesterday, Internet was all spam as search engine mogul Google was brought to a standstill after an employee mistakenly clogged-up any access to web pages through its site.
Web users were stunned to see erroneous messages between 1:30am and 2:25am last night reporting that every site turned up in their results might be harmful, reports News.com.au.
Google blamed the problem on human error and apologised to users and site owners whose pages were incorrectly labelled.
“Anyone who did a Google search during that time likely saw the message ”This site may harm your computer”” accompanying every search result, the company said on its blog.
Google said the message is regularly used to flag sites known to install malicious software in the background or surreptitiously to protect users.
The glitch was caught by on-call staff and the file was quickly fixed, Google said.
“We will carefully investigate this incident and put more robust file checks in to prevent it from happening again,”” said Marissa Mayer, vice-president of search products and user experience, in the statement. (ANI)
- Wave of spams counter Facebook joy over Osama's death - May 03, 2011
- 'Google killer' search engine to 'clean up web searches' - Nov 06, 2010
- Yahoo taps former Google executive as CEO - Jul 17, 2012
- Google Instant: Search-Before-You-Type Technology Released - Sep 09, 2010
- Now, Google worth one billion page views a day - Jul 22, 2010
- Single Google page to display 1,000 images, text ads with images - Jul 22, 2010
- Bing to integrate social networking with search results - May 11, 2012
- Blekko: New Search Engine Claiming To Offer Accurate Search Results - Nov 02, 2010
- Google Search now lets users block websites they don't like - Mar 12, 2011
- Girl vents ire on ex-beau's images on Google - Feb 07, 2011
- Cyber criminals to target social networks, mobile devices: Security Report - Apr 06, 2011
- Google India unveils new search format for ads - Dec 27, 2011
- Google Jazzes Up Its Homepage With Backgrounds! - Jun 10, 2010
- Google revamps to keep 'low-quality' sites at bay - Feb 26, 2011
- Google Dishes Out New Search Method To Counter Keyword Spam - Dec 16, 2009
Tags: apologised, checks, erroneous messages, glitch, google, google search, human error, malicious software, marissa mayer vice president, melbourne, mogul, news com au, search engine, search products, search result, spam, standstill, user experience, web pages, web users