Google apologizes over Gmail crashFebruary 25th, 2009 - 2:39 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 25 (ANI): Google has issued an apology to customers after a system crash left millions of users around the world unable to send and receive emails.
Google’’s web-based email service, Gmail, got shut for two-and-a-half hours from around 9.30am (UK time), frustrating individuals around the world who rely on the email tool for communication, reports the Daily Express.
According to Internet data company comScore, an estimated 127 million people have Gmail accounts - making it the third most popular email provider after Yahoo and Hotmail.
As technicians worked to fix the problem, the Internet giant apologised to users of the service, stressing that it was an unusual occurrence.
Once the problem was resolved, Acacio Cruz, site reliability manager for Gmail, posted a statement on the Google blogspot apologising for the inconvenience.
The statement read: “We know that for many of you this disrupted your working day. We”re really sorry about this and we did do everything to restore access as soon as we could. Our priority was to get you back up and running.”
Google also revealed that its engineers were still trying to establish the root cause of the problem.
A representative for Google said: “The problem is now resolved and users have had access restored. We know how important Gmail is to our users, so we take issues like this very seriously, and we apologise for the inconvenience.” (ANI)
- Microsoft unveils new email service - Aug 01, 2012
- Gmail outage affects tens of millions of users worldwide - Apr 18, 2012
- Hotmail users complain of missing e-mails - Jan 02, 2011
- Google's email service faces glitch - Feb 28, 2011
- Google accidentally wipes accounts of 150,000 Gmail users - Mar 01, 2011
- Google apologises for Gmail outage that affected millions - Feb 25, 2009
- Google to restore all Gmail accounts post bug - Mar 01, 2011
- BlackBerry services restored, firm probing fault - Oct 11, 2011
- Hotmail users 'furious' to find empty inboxes, missing folders - Jan 02, 2011
- Gmail outage challenges Google engineers - Sep 02, 2009
- Gmail outage affects users worldwide - Apr 18, 2012
- Gmail,Yahoo hit by phishing scheme - Oct 07, 2009
- Now, Google tracking our each online move? - Mar 29, 2012
- Software to stop you writing e-mails when drunk - Nov 12, 2010
- `Sesame Street' channel cleansed of porn put by hackers - Oct 18, 2011
Tags: apologised, apologising, apology, communication reports, daily express, email provider, email tool, gmail, google, hotmail, inconvenience, internet data, london feb, occurrence, reliability, root cause, system crash, two and a half hours, web based email, web based email service