Goa mulls changes in marriage lawsJune 12th, 2009 - 4:29 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, June 12 (IANS) Months after Goa’s marriage laws rendered film star Sanjay Dutt’s marriage illegal, a legislative committee has recommended that the provision of a compulsory one month residence proof for couples be scrapped.
Chairman of the ad hoc committee on law Francis D’Souza said that the clause was hampering Goa’s prospects of becoming a sought after wedding destination.
“This clause is creating trouble for those foreigners and people of Goan-origin settled abroad who want to get married in the state,” D’souza said Friday.
The Sanjay Dutt-Manyata wedding Feb 7 was declared illegal by the Goan authorities after it came to light that the certificate of domicile submitted by Manyata, showing her as a resident of Margao, was bogus.
The law in Goa defines marriage as a civil contract between two people of different sexes, irrespective of religion. However the law also requires one month’s temporary domicile in Goa, duly certified by a junior government revenue official, before marriage.
“There are so many youngsters working abroad who will lose their job if they remain absent for one month. This clause needs to be changed,” the former law minister said, adding that the desperation to procure certificates, encouraged large-scale corruption among the lower rung revenue officials.
Senior officials from the law department present at the meeting, however, argued that the mandatory residential permit clause was essential to ward off possibilities of cheating or charges of bigamy.
Marriage laws in Goa are a legacy of the Portuguese colonial rule in the state, which made marriages compulsorily registrable, i.e. only a proper civil registration is considered as evidence of marriage after submission of a domicile and birth certificates.
- Meghalaya's married job seekers need to give wedlock proof - Aug 08, 2011
- Change Goa law to promote wedding tourism - Aug 23, 2012
- Goa to probe if excessive mining causing cracks in houses - Jul 26, 2012
- Two NCP ministers quit Congress-led Goa government - Mar 14, 2011
- Fake currency racket reaches Goa minister's doorstep - Aug 11, 2011
- 'Save Goa' campaign attracts 9,000 at British Goan fest - Jul 24, 2012
- Mining lobby, politicians tried to hijack Hegde's events: Activists - Apr 26, 2011
- Sanjay Dutt Throws Birthday Bash For Owen, Patches Up With Sisters - Sep 15, 2010
- Fate of 40 Goa mines to be decided Friday - Mar 03, 2011
- Goa illegal mining scam worth $423 million: Trinamool Congress - Feb 15, 2012
- Hike in taxes disappoints Goa hotel industry - Mar 02, 2011
- Sanjay Dutt's babies most beautiful: SRK - Jul 25, 2011
- Sanjay Dutt sings for wife, walks the ramp - Aug 06, 2011
- Chavan had to go, how can Pacheco come, ask Goa Congress dissidents - Dec 23, 2010
- Good news for couples, Delhi relaxes marriage rules (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
Tags: birth certificates, certificate of domicile, civil contract, civil registration, desperation, goa, government revenue, hoc committee, law minister, legislative committee, marriage laws, portuguese colonial rule, revenue officials, sanjay dutt, sanjay dutt manyata, senior officials, sexes, souza, wedding destination, youngsters