Goa minister claims casino duped him of Rs.1.25 crore winningsJune 18th, 2009 - 8:49 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, June 18 (IANS) Goa Tourism Minister Francisco alias Mickky Pacheco has accused a casino operator, working out of a popular five-star resort in South Goa, of not paying him Rs.1.25 crore that he had won at the casino last month.
In a complaint filed at the Colva police station, the controversial Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) legislator Mickky Pacheco has said that the management of Treasures, a licensed casino operating at the Majorda beach resort, had denied him his winnings in the casino between May 15 to May 22 this year.
The complaint, filed before the police Thursday, said that only a paltry portion of the winnings was paid to him by the casino operator, that too after repeated requests.
The minister says he had won Rs.1.53 crore and had been paid only Rs.28 lakh of the amount.
“The casino staff had requested a day or two to make the full payment as they do not hold large cash reserves in the casino premises,” the complaint mentions.
“The payment was made after officials from the resort, including the director Mukesh Khanna, intervened,” Mickky’s complaint added.
The casino at the Majorda beach is operated by a gaming firm which runs similar licenced gambling operations in other five-star resorts in Goa and offers mechanized gambling in the form of roulette, blackjack and poker.
Officials attached to the Colva police station, while confirming the complaint, said they were investigating it. “We have just received the complaint. We are in the process of investigating it,” officials said.
Officials at Treasures casino were not available for immediate comment.
- Goa tourism minister arrested yet again - Sep 30, 2009
- Goa casino files complaint against tourism minister - Jun 21, 2009
- Goa minister booked for extorting money from casino - Sep 18, 2009
- Goa minister's aide held for threatening casino management - Jun 19, 2009
- 'Ministers going to casinos is bad' - Jun 22, 2009
- Cops quiz Goa tourism minister in casino extortion case - Sep 29, 2009
- Extortion charge against him to defame NCP, says Goa minister - Sep 18, 2009
- Goa tourism minister gets interim bail in casino extortion case - Sep 19, 2009
- Goa earned Rs.30 crore from casino entry fee - Aug 06, 2012
- Goa minister gets bail in extortion case (Lead) - Sep 19, 2009
- We invite tourists to Goa and then harass them: Minister - Dec 06, 2009
- Goa tourism minister accused of assaulting casino dealers - Jun 19, 2009
- Nepali cartel running Goa casinos is fleecing patrons: minister - Jul 01, 2009
- Limited, yet luxurious: Gaming gets big in India - Sep 21, 2011
- Goa casino charged with denying winnings, beating up customer - Mar 24, 2009
Tags: alias, cash reserves, casino operator, casino staff, five star resorts, goa tourism, lakh, legislator, licensed casino, majorda beach resort, mukesh khanna, nationalist congress party, ncp, pacheco, police station, resorts in goa, rs 1, south goa, star resort, tourism minister