Girl who sneezes 12,000 times a day is suffering from PANDAS, say docsDecember 4th, 2009 - 2:22 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec 4 (ANI): An American girl, who sneezes up to 12,000 times a day, has been given an official diagnosis, with doctors saying that she is suffering from PANDAS (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorder Associated with Streptococcus).
According to WAVY-TV, Lauren Johnson, 12, from Virginia, had started sneezing constantly throughout the day after suffering a bad cold in November.
Doctors had referred to Lauren’s condition as “machine gun sneezing”, as the girl couldn’t go more than a few seconds without sneezing, and the only time she got relief was when she was asleep.
“Now we can actually treat it as something,” Fox News quoted Lauren as saying.
She had been unable to attend school because of her sneezing fits, but is now starting to feel better after her doctor started her on a course of antibiotics.
Dr. Rosario Trifiletti, a child neurologist who is treating Lauren, said PANDAS occurs following a streptococcal infection - the most common form being strep throat.
“Lauren is at risk of getting this again, so we’re probably going to place her on some sort of . . .low-dose antibiotics for a long period of time,” Trifilleti added. (ANI)
- PANDAS are not a big fan of stress - Apr 11, 2010
- Girl, 12, sneezes 12,000 times a day! - Nov 12, 2009
- OCD linked to common childhood illness - Oct 21, 2010
- Zsa Zsa Gabor's doctor holds off leg amputation - Jan 04, 2011
- Strep throat bacteria-associated antibodies linked to obsessive compulsive disorder - Aug 12, 2009
- 30 percent chance Falak will remain vegetative: Doctors - Feb 07, 2012
- How to turn bacteria against themselves - Feb 09, 2011
- Baby Falak still critical (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Girl in coma wakes up hearing mom sing - Jun 19, 2012
- Only 10 percent liver transplants on female patients: Doctors (With Image) - Sep 22, 2010
- 'Watchful waiting' appropriate treatment for many kids with ear infections - Dec 18, 2010
- Model injured by plane propeller starts to walk again - Dec 09, 2011
- Deranged Swedish man eats murdered girlfriend - Mar 10, 2011
- Baby Falak critical, battles for life (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Lauren Graham speaks about her new man - Sep 11, 2010
Tags: american girl, antibiotics, child neurologist, diagnosis, docs, doctors, fox news, lauren johnson, machine gun, pandas, pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorder, period of time, risk, rosario, strep throat, streptococcal infection, streptococcus, wavy tv