Gilly never got over a.. licker slur by Shane WarneOctober 25th, 2008 - 4:57 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Oct 25 (ANI): In his new book to be released next week, former Australian wicket keeper has elaborated on his loveless relationship with his former teammate Shane Warne, saying he was hurt at being called an “a . . . licker” by the legendary spinner.
The incident happened in a Sheffield Shield match in the late 1990s when Warne mercilessly sledged the wicketkeeper in an incident, which Gilchrist has never forgotten.
Warne, playing for Victoria , was backing his great mate Darren Berry to be Ian Healy’’s successor as Test wicketkeeper, over Gilchrist, who was playing for WA. “Warnie and Darren Berry were absolutely giving it to me, verbally,” the Daily Telegraph quoted Gilchrist as writing in his autobiography True Colours.
“They were saying ”A . . .-licker, you”ve only got where you are because you”re an a . . .-licker”. The nature of what they were saying was extremely hurtful. I felt it had a lot to do with me being above Chuck ( Berry ) in the pecking order behind Healy. Chuck might have envied me because of that and Warnie was Chuck’’s best friend. But, considering I”d played some cricket with Warnie now for Australia , it was below the belt. At the time it almost killed me, Gilchrist has written in his book.
Warne and Gilchrist were one of most successful bowler-keeper partnerships in history, but never really got along, said the paper.
Their frosty relationship sprang to life when Warne was stripped of the vice-captaincy in 2000 and Gilchrist was given the position. Being dropped from the Australian vice-captaincy hurt Warne because it excluded him from one of the things he cherished most about cricket - a say in the team leadership, it added. (ANI)
- Why Gilchrist hated Warne - Oct 25, 2008
- Getting Gilchrist out early key to Deccan Chargers victory: Lehman - Apr 16, 2011
- Selectors to decide captaincy: Gambhir - Jun 08, 2012
- KKR bowlers stifled us: Gilchrist - May 01, 2011
- Shane Watson gets first taste of Australian captaincy - Jul 14, 2011
- Ponting must use Krejza as team's No.1 wicket-taking spinner: Berry - Feb 13, 2011
- Warne backs Wade as Haddin's successor - Jan 18, 2012
- Paine says he hopes to be a permanent fixture in Oz squad soon - Oct 21, 2010
- Warne on Melbourne Stars' Big Bash League wish-list - Mar 27, 2011
- Australia's captaincy can pull Warne out of retirement: Jones - Dec 10, 2010
- Gilchrist to lead Kings XI Punjab in IPL-4 - Jan 11, 2011
- Gilchrist confident of Valthaty maintaining stupendous form - Apr 17, 2011
- 'Composed' England should start favourites for Ashes series: Gilchrist - Oct 30, 2010
- Akmal is no 'match-fixer': Ex-Oz keeper Healy - Aug 31, 2010
- Ex-Victorian keeper Berry, a good choice for Oz coach: Roebuck - Feb 12, 2011
Tags: 1990s, autobiography, best friend, chuck berry, cricket, daily telegraph, former teammate, gilchrist, healy, loveless, partnerships, pecking order, shane warne, sheffield shield, slur, spinner, team leadership, true colours, wicket keeper, wicketkeeper