Genes linked with onset age of Parkinson’s disease identifiedOctober 8th, 2009 - 1:58 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Oct 8 (ANI): Genes, which may influence the onset age of Parkinson’s Disease (PD) have been identified, report researchers from Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM).
The findings are the first to identify genes contributing to the variation in onset age and may help identify mechanisms and therapeutic targets capable of delaying symptoms.
PD is the second most common neurodegenerative disorder usually occurring late in life and is characterized by debilitating symptoms of tremor, rigidity, and slowed ability to start and continue movements.
The BUSM researchers performed analyses using genotypes generated with the Illumina HumanCNV370Duo array in a sample of 857 unrelated, familial PD cases.
Then, they performed a meta-analysis of imputed Single Nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) by combining the familial PD data with that from a previous genome-wide associated study (GWAS) of 440 idiopathic PD cases.
And they identified the 15q26.2 region as well as the gene AAK1 related to the previously observed PD susceptibility gene, GAK as areas that would benefit from further examination.
“Important distinctions can be made between those genes that influence susceptibility for developing disease, and the genetic modifiers that influence onset age,” said joint lead author Dr. Jeanne C. Latourelle, from the department of neurology at BUSM.
Latourelle said that the findings highlight the importance of continuing the study of onset age of PD that could provide insight into the disease mechanisms and processes for delaying onset with implications for novel treatments.
The study has been published in BMC Medical Genetics. (ANI)
- Largest genetic study of anorexia nervosa detects common, rare variants - Nov 20, 2010
- Study reveals links to abnormal rhythms behind sudden death, heart damage - Dec 21, 2010
- Secret of living till 100 lies in genes - Jul 03, 2010
- Genetic deletion identified as major risk factor for autism, schizophrenia - Nov 05, 2010
- 'Key player' that facilitates Parkinson's disease found - Mar 04, 2011
- Previously unrecognized susceptibility factor for bipolar disorder identified - Mar 04, 2011
- Additional genes linked to age-related macular degeneration identified - Apr 13, 2010
- Genetic variants that modify breast cancer risk identified - Sep 20, 2010
- Genetic makeup identified as key factor that leads to severe sepsis - Jun 12, 2010
- Genes linking puberty to body fat in women discovered - Nov 22, 2010
- New genetic links to ovarian cancer risk discovered - Sep 20, 2010
- Genes predict extreme longevity - Jul 02, 2010
- 18 genetic markers for autism spectrum disorders identified - Apr 28, 2011
- Chinese scientists make headway in leprosy prevention - Jan 30, 2012
- Scientists find 13 new genes linked to heart diseases - Mar 07, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,