Gene combinations linked to hip osteoporosis in postmenopausal womenMarch 30th, 2011 - 4:20 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar 30 (ANI): A study conducted at the University of Granada says that women with osteoporosis in their hip suffer menopause two years earlier than healthy women.
Additionally, researchers have found at least three genetic markers associated with osteoporosis in the hip in postmenopausal women.
Osteoporosis in the hip increases the risk of suffering fractures, which is extremely disabling for the patient, and represents a high cost for the health public system.
The aim of this research study was to understand the factors that increase the risk of developing osteoporosis. As a starting point, researchers took the relevance of genes in this disease, since 80 percent of bone formation is genetically determined.
For the purpose of this study, authors conducted a multi-center study involving five Spanish clinics. A sample of 2,000 patients was taken from the gynecology services of the partipating clinics.
Detailed medical records were prepared of each patient including those risk factors known to intervene in osteoporosis of the hip. In addition, other factors that have not still been proved to intervene in osteoporosis -as the Mediterranean diet- were also studied.
Blood collections were made to analyse genetic markers, and a densitrometry was done to study bone mineral density in spine and hip. (ANI)
- Wine could help protect older women from thinning bones - Aug 03, 2012
- Use of nitrates increases bone strength: study - Feb 23, 2011
- Fracture prone? Blame your genes - Apr 22, 2012
- Thinning of bones linked to heart failure - Feb 03, 2012
- Postmenopausal women urged to increase yearly dental checkups - Mar 11, 2011
- HIV-infected postmenopausal women at increased bone fracture risk - Jan 06, 2010
- Olive oil enriched diet protects bone - Aug 16, 2012
- Apple-shaped women 'more likely to develop osteoporosis' - Nov 30, 2010
- Drug counters bone-damaging effects of breast cancer medication - Oct 10, 2011
- Jab hope for osteoporosis sufferers - Jun 18, 2010
- Obesity in postmenopausal women increases risk for fractures - Mar 26, 2011
- Breast cancer survivors are at higher risk for hip fractures - Feb 03, 2011
- Long-term use of osteoporosis drugs raises risk of fractures - Feb 23, 2011
- Green tea and tai chi 'improve quality of life in postmenopausal women' - Apr 11, 2011
- Osteoporosis drug may help cut risk of bone fractures, breast cancer, stroke - Feb 25, 2010
Tags: aim, bone formation, bone mineral density, collections, detailed medical records, fractures, gene combinations, genes, genetic markers, gynecology services, mediterranean diet, menopause, osteoporosis, point researchers, postmenopausal women, relevance, risk factors, spine, study authors, university of granada