Gates Foundation, Asian group win UN population prizeMarch 10th, 2010 - 5:23 am ICT by IANS
New York, March 10 (DPA) The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the Asian Forum of Parliamentarians on Population and Development (AFPPD) were selected Tuesday winners of the 2010 UN Population Award.
The award has been given out annually to individuals or groups for their outstanding work in population and in improving the health of individuals.
The foundation, established by Microsoft billionaire Bill Gates and his wife, has upheld a simple premise: “All lives have equal values. Today, billions of people never have the chance to live a healthy and productive life,” said the UN Population’s Funds (UNFPA) in announcing the prize winners.
The Gates Foundation has financed programmes on combating HIV/AIDS, malaria and extreme poverty through seed money that elicit participation from other wealthy donors.
The foundation has “focused on problems of maternal health and family planning in developing countries, and on identifying the root causes of these problems in order to find innovative solutions,” UNFPA said.
AFPPD has set the goals to educate, motivate and involve legislators on issues related to reproductive health, family planning, food and security and women’s empowerment. It comprises 25 national parliamentarian committees and has offices in 13 Asian countries.
The winners were selected by an awards committee of 10 UN members chaired by Malaysia’s UN Ambassador Hamidon Ali.
The winners will received the prize June 3 in a ceremony at UN headquarters in New York.
- Gates praises India for containing polio - May 31, 2012
- India can meet budget for its AIDS programmes: Azad - Dec 01, 2011
- A new 'Gate-way' for India's Africa diplomacy - May 31, 2012
- Indian firm gets Gates Foundation grant for `eToilet' - Aug 16, 2012
- GVK BIO to support global consortium - May 16, 2011
- Gates to meet Krishna - May 30, 2012
- Global health award for Bihar chief minister - Jan 03, 2012
- Bill Gates in India to receive Indira Gandhi Peace Prize - Jul 23, 2009
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to focus on drugs, vaccine research - Mar 24, 2011
- Carla Bruni to visit Safdarjung Hospital to see anti-natal, HIV care procedure - Dec 06, 2010
- Bill Gates to receive Indira Gandhi Peace Prize today - Jul 25, 2009
- China reports 900,000 TB cases in 2011 - Mar 21, 2012
- Chinese scientist wins US award for malaria drug - Sep 15, 2011
- Hyderabad foundation gets $100,000 grant for polio vaccine - May 10, 2012
- Bill Gates-Akhilesh to sign MoU on health - May 30, 2012
Tags: asian forum, asian group, awards committee, bill and melinda gates, bill and melinda gates foundation, bill gates, extreme poverty, hamidon, hiv aids, maternal health, melinda gates foundation, microsoft billionaire, parliamentarian, parliamentarians, prize winners, productive life, reproductive health, seed money, values today, wealthy donors