Gandhara art greatly influenced by Greek, Roman, Iranian cultureJuly 10th, 2008 - 4:50 pm ICT by ANI
Mardan ( Pakistan ), July 10 (ANI): Several articles recovered from Mardan, a tribal area in NWFP, like toilet trays, terracotta sculptures, coins etc indicate that the Greek, Roman, Iranian and Central Asian cultures deeply influenced the indigenous Gandhara art and culture in the region.
Speaking at a gathering here, a prominent Pakistani archaeologist Dr Zianul Wahab said that Gandhara was the centre of various arts and its architectural techniques were very popular in the world.
He said that the influence of Greek art on Gandhara could be judged from the fact that a number of toilet trays and terracotta sculptures were recovered from Mardan and other northern districts of NWFP in the second century BC.
He said that Gandhara was the centre of various arts and its architectural techniques were very popular in the world. He said that later on Mahayana Buddhism spread to china, Korea Japan and Tibbat from Gandhara.
Greeks invaded Gandhara but they never touched local religions, cultures and traditions rather they dealt it very gently and decently, the Dawn quoted him as saying.
He further said that Greek coins were wonderful and glorious contribution to the Gandhara art because those coins showed symbols, wild life, pictures of kings and queens, seasons, crops, Buddhist stupas and even natural calamity. Recovery of those coins helped archaeologists to know that 39 kings and three queens ruled Gandhara, he added. (ANI)
- 5,000 years of Indian art in pictorial text - Dec 03, 2011
- Largest collection of stone sculptures on Budhae life displayed at Peshawar Museum - Sep 15, 2008
- Pakistan puts Buddhist tourism back on track - Mar 30, 2010
- City Museum depicting Hyderabad's history inaugurated - Mar 12, 2012
- Like Nalanda, Vikramshila may rise from ruins - Jan 24, 2012
- Rare Indian, Asian art at Christie's sale (With Images) - Mar 15, 2012
- India muse to new age 'land art' (With Image) - Apr 28, 2012
- Ashoka stupa restored in Tibet (With Images) - Aug 03, 2012
- (After 1)Eighth-century Bihar university set for conservation - Nov 02, 2011
- New facsimile of Buddhist sutra unveiled - May 04, 2012
- Crossover: Fashion feeds abstract art (With Image) - Mar 19, 2012
- Egyptian Supreme Council For Antiquities Unearths 2000 Year Old Coins - Apr 25, 2010
- Shimla's museum to showcase miniature paintings - Apr 20, 2012
- India, Spain share a laugh over cartoons (With Images) - Jun 24, 2012
- NGMA gets a new parallel address on Google Art Project - Apr 10, 2012
Tags: archaeologist, architectural techniques, art and culture, asian cultures, buddhist stupas, districts of nwfp, gandhara art, greek art, greek coins, iranian culture, kings and queens, korea japan, mahayana buddhism, mardan pakistan, natural calamity, pictures of kings and queens, three queens, tribal area, wahab, wild life pictures