Game show winner meets son after 45 yearsAugust 14th, 2012 - 5:52 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 14 (IANS) A British mother won a 75,000-pound jackpot at a TV game show and used the amount to be reunited with her son who remained untraced for 45 years in Australia.
Dawn Harkins, 61, went on the TV game show — Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? — hoping to raise enough cash to see the child she gave up for adoption as a six week-old baby, The Sun reported Tuesday.
She was 15 when she gave birth at a time when it was taboo to be a single young woman with an illegitimate child. Her parents agreed that her baby should be adopted. She could spend barely six weeks with him before the infant was taken away.
Harkins went on to marry and have two more children. But she could never forget her first child. It was her daughter, Samantha, 41, who tracked Glyn down last year through adoption forms and detective work. She found he was living 10,000 miles away on the other side of the world.
Having won the game show, she immediately booked her flight Down Under to meet son Glyn in Brisbane, Australia.
Harkins, who runs a tea shop in Anglesey, North Wales, said: “I never thought I’d see my son again so it’s amazing to actually be out here. No mum ever forgets their (her) child and I’m so glad I got the chance to meet Glyn and to give him a great big hug.
“I might not have gone home a millionaire but this trip is worth more than that anyway. I feel like the richest woman in the world,” said Harkins, a grandmother-of-six.
- David Beckham gets another tattoo - Oct 11, 2011
- Sandra Bullock not pregnant - Sep 08, 2011
- Son made marriage stronger: Hilary Duff - Jun 06, 2012
- Theron loves changing diapers - May 30, 2012
- Stone was 'broken' after losing son's custody - Jan 21, 2012
- Singer Queen Latifa plans to adopt - Nov 19, 2011
- Snooki put on make-up before giving birth - Sep 08, 2012
- Duff joins Johnson for charity project - Apr 14, 2012
- Adele thrilled with pregnancy - Jul 18, 2012
- Guy Ritchie's girlfriend pregnant again? - Jul 19, 2012
- It's a baby boy for Rachel Zoe, husband - Mar 27, 2011
- I wish Kourtney a girl: Kendall - Dec 23, 2011
- Tori Spelling plans adoption - Sep 12, 2012
- Jennifer Aniston not adopting a baby or a dog - Feb 02, 2011
- Danielle Lloyd's son Harry released from the hospital - Aug 16, 2011
Tags: 45 years, anglesey, anglesey north wales, brisbane australia, british mother, daughter samantha, detective work, game show who wants to be a millionaire, grandmother, great big hug, harkins, illegitimate child, jackpot, old baby, richest woman in the world, six weeks, tea shop, tv game show, who wants to be a millionaire, young woman