Galileos finger to go on display in ItalyFebruary 28th, 2009 - 3:22 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 28 (ANI): One of Galileo Galileis fingers, which is the only remaining part of the 17th century astronomers body, is to go on display in Italy.
According to a report in the Telegraph, the finger, which is the middle digit from Galileos right hand, is mounted on a marble base and encased in a crystal jar.
It will be among 250 objects which will go on display in Florence as part of an exhibition entitled Galileo: Images of the Universe from Antiquity to the Telescope, which opens next month in Florence.
The finger was removed from the astronomers body when it was exhumed from his unconsecrated grave and transferred to a mausoleum in a Florentine church in 1737.
It is usually on display at Florences Museum of the History of Science.
Last month, British and Italian scientists unveiled plans to exhume Galileos body to determine whether a degenerative eye condition affected his observation of the planets in later life.
Researchers believe that Galileo could have been even more accurate in his work had he not been suffering from a genetic disease which eventually left him blind.
They are seeking permission from the Catholic Church to exhume the body.
Galileo, who lived from 1564 to 1642, was condemned by the Church for teaching that the Earth revolves around the Sun and in 1633 was tried and convicted of heresy by the Inquisition. (ANI)
- Galileo's fingers, tooth to be on display - Jun 09, 2010
- Galileo's works published in Arabic - Nov 02, 2010
- Galileo's lost fingers, tooth found - Nov 21, 2009
- Galileo's tooth, thumb and finger go on display in Florence - Jun 09, 2010
- NASA launches Jupiter probe - Aug 05, 2011
- Galileo documents to be shown for first time - Jul 06, 2011
- New book debunks 25 myths about religion and science - Jun 03, 2009
- Hunt for Mona Lisa: Archaeologists find new tomb - May 13, 2011
- Ownership of David statue sparks row in Italy - Aug 17, 2010
- Galileo's early research may have led him to support Earth as center of Universe - Mar 06, 2010
- Florence, Italian Govt. in court battle over ownership of Michelangelo's David - Aug 16, 2010
- Chinese museum to replicate Michelangelo's sculptures - Jun 20, 2011
- Remains of 'Mona Lisa' to be dug up - Apr 06, 2011
- Abhishek teaches Italians to wear dhoti - Jan 21, 2011
- Kolkata's slum kids seek Don Bosco's blessings - Jul 17, 2011
Tags: 17th century, antiquity, catholic church, crystal jar, degenerative eye condition, earth revolves around the sun, florence, galileo galileis, galileo images, genetic disease, heresy, history of science, images of the universe, inquisition, italian scientists, london feb, marble base, mausoleum, planets, telescope