Futuristic ’sleek jets’ could be new travel option for fliersMarch 6th, 2011 - 11:15 am ICT by ANI
London, Mar 6 (ANI): Travelling by jumbo jets could soon be a thing of the past, thanks to new futuristic sleek jets that NASA plans to introduce.
The US space agency revealed designs for the quiet-running, energy-efficient aircraft that could be ready for service by 2025.
These planes were designed for the US Air Force in the Fifties but never entered service, reports the Daily Express.
Aerospace companies Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin and Boeing came up with drawings towards the end of last year.
The three secured contracts from NASA to develop and test their designs, meaning the aircraft could be taking to the skies in the next 10 years.
The planes will be faster, bigger, more efficient and quieter than at present.
The sleek jets require the aircraft to have a range of 7,000 miles at 85 per cent of the speed of sound while carrying between 50,000lb and 100,000lb of cargo or passengers. (ANI)
- Faster, larger, quieter superplanes by 2025? - Jan 16, 2011
- Radical triangular plane to take to sky in future - Aug 08, 2012
- US testing deadlier, stealthier drones - Jan 11, 2011
- Future of defence business uncertain: PWC - May 02, 2011
- Fully-loaded reconnaisance plane for India begins flight tests (With Image) - Jul 11, 2012
- Second Boeing plane for Indian Navy completes first flight (with images) - Jul 17, 2012
- Boeing's 'world's longest' 747-8 jumbo makes 'perfect' maiden flight - Mar 21, 2011
- Boeing gets ready to unveil fourth-generation 747 version jetliner - Feb 13, 2011
- First Dreamliner aircraft delivered to Air India in the US - Sep 06, 2012
- Berlin air show to display latest aerospace technology - Jun 07, 2010
- Lockheed Martin F-35 programme awarded for 'cutting-edge design' - May 14, 2010
- India's military purchases: Only the best should do (Comment) - Nov 10, 2011
- AI plans to use Dreamliner on domestic routes to cut cost - May 06, 2012
- India expects to induct first 787 Dreamliner this month - Aug 19, 2012
- IndiGo to buy 180 Airbus aircraft for $15 billion (Roundup) - Jan 12, 2011
Tags: 10 years, aerospace companies, boeing, daily express, drawings, fifties, fliers, grumman, jumbo jets, lockheed martin, nasa, new travel, northrop, northrop grumman, planes, sleek jets, speed of sound, travel option, us air force, us space agency