Free flats for scheduled castes, tribes in DelhiSeptember 19th, 2011 - 11:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 19 (IANS) The Delhi government Monday said it will allot free houses to slum dwellers belonging to the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes communities in the capital.
“Funds in the SC/ST Commission will be utilised for this purpose as the commission will contribute Rs.60,000 on behalf the candidate,” Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit told reporters.
“These flats, which used to cost them Rs.3,34,000, will be more or less free,” she added.
She said that in addition to the Rs.1,19,000 assistance being given to them under the Rajiv Ratan Awas Yojana, land owning agencies will provide a sum of Rs.93,000 for each eligible candidate.
According to the chief minister, around 16-17 percent people in slum clusters will benefit from the scheme.
Last month, the Delhi government decided to rehabilitate people in 33 slum clusters in the capital.
“In October, around 5,000 flats will be allotted to the slum dwellers,” Dikshit added.
The move comes ahead of the the Municipal Corporation Delhi (MCD) elections in 2012.
- Delhi government allots flats to 500 slum dwellers - Jul 18, 2012
- Delhi ready with 15,000 flats for poor - Sep 06, 2011
- Delhi government okays low cost flats for slum dwellers - Feb 03, 2010
- Cabinet approves slum development in 250 cities - Jun 02, 2011
- Want slum free India: PM - Aug 15, 2011
- 900 unauthorised Delhi colonies to be regularised - Aug 15, 2012
- 900 unauthorised Delhi colonies to be regularised (Lead, Correcting date in para one) - Aug 15, 2012
- Hundreds homeless as 25-year-old Delhi slum razed - Sep 23, 2010
- Will make Delhi slum-free, says Dikshit - Feb 10, 2012
- Delhi's slum dwellers to get 15,000 low-cost flats - Jan 04, 2011
- Cabinet approves slum development in 250 cities (Lead) - Jun 02, 2011
- 33 Delhi slum clusters to be removed in October - Jul 21, 2011
- India plans better housing facilities for urban poor - Jul 30, 2011
- PM mulls Rs.1,000 crore corpus for housing poor - Dec 13, 2011
- Legislation in offing for street vendors - Nov 11, 2011
Tags: chief minister, clusters, delhi government, elections, eligible candidate, free houses, municipal corporation delhi, municipal corporation delhi mcd, New Delhi, rajiv, ratan, rs 1, sheila dikshit, slum dwellers, tribes