Four to vie for Miss Tibet crownMay 30th, 2010 - 12:19 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, May 30 (IANS) The ninth edition of the Miss Tibet Pageant will be held in this Himachal Pradesh town, home to the Tibetan government-in-exile, June 4-6 with four contestants vying for the crown.
“This year, the beauty pageant will be a low-key affair in the wake of a recent earthquake in Tibet in China,” the event’s director-producer Lobsang Wangyal told IANS.
“Four contestants would vie for the Miss Tibet Pageant 2010. Initially, 15 contestants applied for the contest but only four have confirmed their participation,” he said.
Wangyal said there will no stage decoration and fireworks during the contest this time. “Special prayer sessions would be held for the quake victims.”
The competition will consist of seven rounds. The winner will get a cash prize of Rs.100,000. The first runner-up will get Rs.50,000 and the second runner-up Rs.25,000.
Before the finale, the participants will undergo a week’s training in yoga, stage craft and dance along with orientation in Tibetan history, culture and current affairs.
Though the government-in-exile has expressed its displeasure at the holding of the pageant that started in 2002, Wangyal thinks differently. He says: “It’s one way of highlighting the cause of Tibet across the world.”
Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, fled his homeland in 1959 after a failed uprising and has been staying here since. McLeodganj near here is the abode-in-exile of the Dalai Lama.
A total of 140,000 Tibetans live in exile, over 100,000 of them in different parts of India.
- Walking the ramp for Tibet, their lost homeland - Jun 02, 2010
- Six to compete for Miss Tibet title - May 28, 2011
- Tenzin Norzom is Miss Tibet - Jun 07, 2010
- Dalai Lama not to address Tibetans on 'uprising day' - Mar 09, 2012
- Miss Tibet pageant cancelled - May 02, 2012
- Tibetans thrilled over new prime minister - Aug 07, 2011
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2012
- Lifetime achievement award for Tibetan opera artist - Oct 16, 2011
- China, not Dalai Lama, to be blamed for self-immolations: Sangay - Mar 10, 2012
- Prayers, hunger strikes mark Tibetan sacred festival - Feb 22, 2012
- Varanasi girl crowned Miss Tibet 2010 - Jun 07, 2010
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- China, not Dalai Lama, cause for self-immolation: Sangay (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Nirupama Rao to meet Dalai Lama in Mcleodganj - Jul 10, 2010
- The Dalai Lama: Torn between Tibet and India! - Mar 03, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,