Four Maharashtra officials suspended after infants’ deathSeptember 28th, 2008 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
Aurangabad, Sep 28 (IANS) The Maharashtra government Sunday suspended four employees of the Jategaon primary health centre near here for dereliction of duty and dismissed one after the death of four infants following administration of measles vaccine Friday. The four children from nearby Waghola village, all 12-month old or slightly younger, died Saturday at the government hospital where they were rushed in a serious condition following inoculation of the vaccine at the PHC.
Six others who were given the vaccine from the same vial, were still fighting for their life.
State Health Minister Vimal Mundhada, who visited the hospital earlier in the day, told reporters that the samples of the vaccine had been sent to the state food and drugs administration for testing and further action will be based on the FDA report.
A hospital source had told IANS Saturday that the vaccine, kept in cold storage, could have got spoilt because of long hours of power outage or something might have gone wrong while mixing the vaccine, indicating that the problem could be localized, restricted to one vial.
A senior health department officer had rushed to Aurangabad from Mumbai after the incident to monitor the situation.
- Four infants die after measles vaccination in Maharashtra - Sep 27, 2008
- Child dies after vaccination, doctors face action - Jul 22, 2011
- Vaccination deaths: Cause still untraced - Aug 25, 2010
- 'Vaccine shots to infants in Madhya Pradesh were poisonous' - Mar 16, 2010
- Two kids die, measles epidemic hits Maharashtra village - Aug 21, 2010
- Two suspended after measles epidemic in Maharashtra village - Aug 23, 2010
- Till 12 months, infants aren't protected against measles - May 19, 2010
- Ten children die of measles in Bihar - Mar 24, 2012
- 4 Madhya Pradesh infants die after measles vaccination (Lead) - Mar 14, 2010
- Central team arrives to probe Lucknow immunisation deaths - Aug 23, 2010
- Infants 'at risk for measles in first year' - May 19, 2010
- FACTSHEETS - Smallpox: in detail - Mar 25, 2010
- Virgin Trent Arsenault fathers 15 kids - Feb 09, 2012
- Government hospitals may run short of DPT vaccine - Aug 21, 2011
- 4 Gujarat children die after being given measles drops - Mar 16, 2011