Fossilized ancient rabbit skull on display in BeijingFebruary 7th, 2011 - 3:53 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Feb 7 (IANS) A fossilized skull of an ancient rabbit believed to be about 54 million years old was put on display here for visitors to mark the Chinese lunar year of rabbit.Visitors can view the miniature skull through a magnifying glass. The rabbit is part of a special exhibition at the Paleozoological Museum of China in Beijing, China Daily reported.
The fossilized skull, named Dawsonlagus antiquus rabbit, was discovered in 2007 in Eren Basin in China’s northwestern Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region. It was put on display Saturday.
Archaeologists believe that it is the oldest fossilized remain of the species. It shows two pairs of upper front teeth and one pair of lower front teeth.
The expo is being organized to educate the public about the origin and evolution of the species.
- China displays 54 million-year-old rabbit skull - Feb 06, 2011
- Biggest ever spider fossil found in Mongolia - Apr 21, 2011
- Europe's biggest dinosaur skull found in Spain - Apr 04, 2012
- 100,000-yr-old fossilized teeth of cavemen found in Central China - Nov 27, 2010
- Scientists discover 'balloon head' dolphin - Nov 03, 2010
- Newly discovered species of dinosaur bridges gap in dinosaur family tree - Apr 13, 2011
- Dinosaur fossil discovered in China - Apr 15, 2012
- Tigers never changed much even in two million years? - Dec 03, 2011
- 30,000 B.C. cave home found in China - May 11, 2011
- Traces of ancient civilisation found in Chinese desert - Oct 18, 2011
- China opens Asia's largest insect museum - Jun 03, 2011
- New dinosaur species found in China - Mar 20, 2010
- Fossil of new dinosaur species found in China - Oct 10, 2010
- 'Saber-toothed' vegetarian prowled Brazil 260 million years ago - Mar 25, 2011
- Complete dinosaur fossil found in China - Dec 03, 2010
Tags: archaeologists, beijing china, china daily, chinese lunar year, evolution, exhibition, expo, fossilized skull, front teeth, inner mongolia autonomous region, magnifying glass, million years, miniature skull, rabbit, rabbit skull, two pairs