Former UP minister Nishad charged with murder, arrestedJune 10th, 2008 - 4:19 pm ICT by ANI
Lucknow , June 10 (ANI): The Uttar Pradesh Fisheries Minister Jamuna Nishad has been arrested here today on charges of the murder of a police constable during a violent clash involving his supporters in Maharajganj.
The incident took place on Saturday night, when angry supporters of the Minister ransacked the Kotwali police station in Maharajganj, demanding action against an SHO for “shielding” an accused in the alleged rape of a girl of the Nishad Dalit community.
On Sunday, Chief Minister Mayawati had sacked Nishad hours after he was charged with murder.
Nishad had been dropped following the submission of his resignation letter to Mayawati. The resignation letter was forwarded to Governor T V Rajeshwar for acceptance
She had summoned him to her official residence in Lucknow after he was booked and named in an FIR in connection with the killing of the constable.
The UP Government also announced financial assistance of Rs 24 lakh and a job for the family of Constable Krishnand Rai besides Rs five lakh in fixed deposit for each of his two daughters.
The FIR named Nishad and 50 unnamed supporters under section 302 (murder) and other relevant charges under IPC and Arms Act.
Mayawati had also ordered a magisterial inquiry into the incident.
It is not clear how the constable was shot. According to the police a beacon-fitted VIP car stopped by and someone from inside fired at them.
However, eyewitnesses claimed that a service weapon was snatched during the scuffle between the villagers and the police. (ANI)
- Uttar Pradesh stand sought on ex-minister's bail plea - Jan 11, 2010
- BJP demands Mayawati resignation - Mar 12, 2011
- Mayawati orders Magisterial probe into murder of constable involving minister Nishad - Jun 08, 2008
- Former Uttar Pradesh minister arrested over policeman's killing (Third Lead) - Jun 10, 2008
- Former Uttar Pradesh minister arrested over policeman's killing (Second Lead) - Jun 10, 2008
- BSP MP arrested in murder case - Dec 11, 2011
- Ex-minister Nishad arrested for mob attack hospitalised - Jul 06, 2008
- Mayawati sacks minister, orders probe into cop's shooting (Lead) - Jun 08, 2008
- Former Uttar Pradesh minister arrested over policeman's killing (Lead) - Jun 10, 2008
- Conspiracy in UP firing that killed three? - Apr 02, 2012
- Cop booked for Samajwadi Party leader's death - Aug 27, 2010
- Akhilesh firefights as ministers, officials embarrass government (Uttar Pradesh Newsletter) - May 13, 2012
- Five cops suspended for custodial death - Jan 07, 2011
- Gujarat top cop Sanjiv Bhatt arrested - Sep 30, 2011
- Mayawati inducts Dharmraj Nishad as cabinet minister - Jun 12, 2008
Tags: alleged rape, chief minister, eyewitnesses, financial assistance, fir, fisheries, ipc, jamuna, lakh, magisterial inquiry, Mayawati, police constable, police station, rai, resignation letter, saturday night, service weapon, two daughters, uttar pradesh, violent clash