Former AIIMS head Venugopal joins Alchemist hospital groupSeptember 27th, 2008 - 5:48 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Sep 27 (IANS) P. Venugopal, former director of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Saturday announced here that he will head the medical division of the Rs.50 billion Alchemist group of hospitals and help set up speciality hospitals across the country.”I am happy to be associated with the Alchemist hospitals group, which shares the same vision about healthcare as I do,” Venugopal, who has performed over 60,000 heart surgeries, told reporters here.
“We will set up world-class hospitals. We will also have facilities like tele-medicine, tele-education and research, especially in areas like stem cell technology,” he added.
The cardiologist had a controversial tenure as head of AIIMS. He was sacked by Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss as AIIMS director on administrative charges, but fought a legal battle and won back the post in May 2008. He retired on July 2.
Alchemist group chairman K.D. Singh said: “We will be setting up 100-150 bed hospitals all over the country. We already have our medical facilities in Panchkula (near Chandigarh), Delhi, Pune and other places.”
He said the group wants to make things like angiography, angioplasty and heart bypass available to needy people at affordable rates of Rs.5,000, Rs.50,000 and Rs.70,000 respectively.
Singh added that extremely poor people would be treated free of cost.
“I am quite happy that these lower rates are being offered to needy people. These rates are being practised in AIIMS,” Venugopal said.
- From Delhi, Indians to teach students in Africa - May 15, 2010
- India launches phase-II of African e-network project - Aug 16, 2010
- With Rs.1,100 crore, AIIMS bags highest budget share - Mar 16, 2012
- A medical tourism company - with end-to-end solutions - Dec 28, 2010
- Abida Parveen discharged from hospital - Dec 05, 2010
- Former AIIMS director Venugopal to join Alchemist hospital - Sep 26, 2008
- India gets first tele-ICU for critical patients - Jul 06, 2012
- India launches phase-II of African e-network project (LEAD) - Aug 16, 2010
- Strategy needed to tackle lifestyle diseases: President (Lead) - Jul 04, 2010
- India taps IT power to woo African youth - May 28, 2011
- Saudi Arabia seeks Bangalore hospital's help for telemedicine centre - Mar 26, 2012
- AIIMS gets Rs.1,000 crore in budget - Feb 28, 2011
- Mumbai to have super-speciality government hospital - Jan 02, 2012
- Three women scientists involved in satellite project - Jul 16, 2011
- IGNOU spreads wings in Africa via tele-education - Sep 10, 2010
Tags: administrative charges, all india institute of medical sciences, anbumani ramadoss, heart surgeries, india institute, p venugopal, speciality hospitals, stem cell technology, tele education, tele medicine