For achieving weight-loss the low carb diet beats the low fat diet according to a new studyAugust 4th, 2010 - 8:51 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Aug 4 (THAINDIAN NEWS) New research by scientists indicate that weight loss can be achieved over a long period of time by eating a diet, that has a lower concentration of carbohydrates just like eating a diet which is low in fat content. Another advantage of former is that it helps prevent heart-related diseases.
Both of the two diets caused a decline in the blood cholesterol level over a period of two years, but there was a significant increase in the low carbohydrate food in terms of good cholesterol. The increase was almost double to that of the low fat foods.
It was previously believed that achieving a decline in body fat over a long-term period was not achievable by eating low carbohydrate foods. At the end of the 2-year tests, both type of diets helped achieve the same level of decline in body fat. The only significant difference was in the level of what is termed as good cholesterol with 23 percent increase for low carbohydrate foods.
The investigation sampled 307 adults with twice as much women as men and all of them were overweight but didn’t have diabetic or cholesterol problems. The test results were published in the Internal Medicine’s Tuesday edition.
- Low-carb diet may not be good for heart: Study - Jun 11, 2012
- Calories, not carbs, key to weight loss - Feb 08, 2012
- High-fat diet lowers blood sugar in diabetics - May 13, 2012
- Low-Carbohydrate Diet Beats Low-Fat Diet In Decreasing Heart Risk - Aug 04, 2010
- Low Carb Diets Beat Low Fat for Heart Health - Aug 04, 2010
- Low-fat diet 'puts dieters in better moods' - Nov 10, 2009
- Demystifying the diet jungle (To go with: Fall in love with food, says nutritionist-author) - Jun 27, 2012
- Eat nuts to bring down cholesterol levels - May 11, 2010
- Low-calorie, low fat diet better for your mood - Nov 16, 2009
- Eat nuts to improve cholesterol levels - May 11, 2010
- Low-carb, low-fat and Mediterranean diets 'reverse atherosclerosis in fat people' - Mar 02, 2010
- Adding monounsaturated fats to diet 'improves cholesterol levels' - Nov 02, 2010
- 'Selenium cuts down risk of cancer' - Jul 31, 2012
- Low-carb diets better for easing weight: Study - Dec 13, 2011
- Dr Oz: 7 Days to Boost Weight Loss & Cut Carb Cravings - Oct 11, 2011
Tags: blood cholesterol level, body fat, carbohydrates, cholesterol, cholesterol problems, concentration, decline, diets, fat content, good cholesterol, internal medicine, low carb diet, low carbohydrate food, low carbohydrate foods, low fat diet, low fat foods, period of time, term period, test results, weight loss