Folic acid ‘prevents congenital heart defects’May 15th, 2009 - 3:45 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 15 (ANI): While fortifying grain products with folic acid has been found to be effective in preventing neural tube defects in Canada, scientists have now found that this form of vitamin B also prevents congenital heart defects.
McGill University researchers in Montreal have found in a study that folic acid decreases the incidence of congenital heart defects by more than 6 percent.
Since December 1998, all grain products sold in Canada have been fortified with folic acid with 0.15 mg of folate per 100 g of flour.
With the help of provincial databases, the researchers showed that the rate of congenital heart defects between 1999 and 2005 was 1.47 per 1000 births compared to 1.64 per 1000 births between 1990 and 1999 for a decrease of 6.2 percent per year after 1999.
Despite the success of this initiative, prevention efforts are still necessary to encourage future mothers to take folic acid supplements.
“The level of fortification was established to avoid negative side effects in the general population,” said Raluca Ionescu-Ittu, a PhD candidate on the team.
“However, this level is not quite sufficient for women planning a pregnancy, who should start taking folic acid supplements at least three months before becoming pregnant,” Ionescu-Ittu added.
The study has been published in the British Medical Journal. (ANI)
- High intakes of folic acid may be linked to cancer - Dec 14, 2010
- Folic acid protects offsprings from colon cancer - May 27, 2011
- Folic acid reduces some childhood cancers - May 21, 2012
- Folate could prevent alcohol-induced congenital heart defects in mice - May 25, 2010
- Folic acid supplements contribute to breast cancer risk: Study - Feb 12, 2011
- Higher levels of folate in RBCs linked to silenced tumor-suppressors - Dec 23, 2010
- Diet high in B-vitamins 'lowers heart risk' - Apr 16, 2010
- Vitamin B9 good for treating allergies, asthma - May 02, 2009
- Supplements can raise asthma risk - Nov 05, 2009
- Drugs that block folic acid in pregnancy double birth defects risk - Oct 14, 2009
- Free chapatis of fortified wheat flour at Pushkar Fair - Nov 05, 2011
- Diet high in B-vitamins lowers heart risk - Apr 19, 2010
- Intake of folic acid supplements in late pregnancy could cause asthma in kids - Nov 04, 2009
- Heart patients receiving folic acid treatment 'at increased cancer, death risk' - Nov 18, 2009
- Immigrant mums 'at higher risk of having babies with birth defects' - Apr 17, 2009
Tags: births, british medical journal, congenital heart defects, databases, flour, folate, folic acid supplements, grain products, ionescu, ittu, least three months, mcgill university, montreal, neural tube defects, phd candidate, planning a pregnancy, prevention efforts, scientists, university researchers, vitamin b