Fly troubles Delhi minister, but no Obama actJune 22nd, 2009 - 10:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 22 (IANS) A persistent fly kept buzzing around Delhi Finance Minister A.K. Walia as he was presenting the budget Monday. But all those waiting to see whether he would do an Obama were disappointed as the minister patiently kept waving the troublesome insect away.
Walia was bothered by the fly right through his 40-minute budget speech in the Delhi assembly here.
The fly sat on his hands, on his face and hair while he made his speech. But Walia, who was dressed in a cream coloured safari suit, waved it away every time it landed on him.
US President Barack Obama had last week smacked a fly dead after it kept bothering him during a television interview at the White House. The incident was widely reported across the world.
A large number of mediapersons who were present to hear the budget speech were anxiously waiting to see if Walia would swat the insect like Obama.
“Will he, won’t he,” was the buzz in the press gallery, as media persons wondered if the minister would lose patience and smack the insect dead.
Media persons were watching every move of the fly with avid interest, and some wag even commented, “The makhi (fly) is doing masti (having fun) with the minister.”
However, Walia chose to be patient with the little insect.
Earlier, when Walia started reading the budget speech, leaders of the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had started shouting demanding that he present it in Hindi.
Walia, however, continued reading his speech.
When Walia used a Sanskrit quotation in the speech, the opposition leaders took a dig at him, saying he was reading “even Sanskrit in English style”.
- Obama victorious in battle with fly - Jun 17, 2009
- Obama kills a fly during TV interview at the White House - Jun 17, 2009
- No problem in rollback of speech, says Pranab - Mar 16, 2012
- Laughter in house over 'rollback of speech' (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Government committed to promote Sanskrit: PM - Jan 05, 2012
- No decision yet on 'Eega' Hindi 3-D version: Suresh Babu - Jul 24, 2012
- Mamata takes the limelight on Bengal budget day - Mar 23, 2012
- Histrionics, poetry and frayed nerves - Mamata at her best (Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- Norway attacker's remote Varanasi connection - Jul 26, 2011
- Maharashtra budget presented amid opposition protest - Mar 23, 2011
- Bollywood's Feb 23 strike called off - Feb 21, 2012
- Assault with a deadly French fry (The Funny Side) - Jul 06, 2012
- Mukherjee starts presenting his 7th federal budget (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Bigg Boss 4 Day 29: Sara's comeback changes the equations in the house - Nov 03, 2010
- All quiet as Pranab presents budget - Feb 28, 2011
Tags: barack obama, bjp, budget speech, buzz, english style, finance minister, fly right, having fun, insect, media persons, New Delhi, opposition leaders, patience, quotation, safari suit, swat, television interview, wag, walia, white house