Flashmob dance, run - Delhi’s fun ways to fight corruptionJanuary 17th, 2011 - 3:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 17 (IANS) Don’t be surprised if you see a group of youngsters breaking into an impromptu jig at a mall or even at the India Gate. Students of Delhi University have planned flashmob dances and a run as novel ways to protest against corruption.A flashmob is a group of people who assemble in a public place all of a sudden, perform an unusual act and then disperse.
The flashmob dances and run, which will see 50-100 students participating, may take place anywhere in the city, according to Delhi University Students Union (DUSU) secretary Neetu Dabas. It maybe in malls, near the India Gate war memorial or in the north campus near the university.
These events will act as a run-up to a four-kilometre marathon Feb 8 to highlight the message against corruption and encourage students to fight it, Dabas said.
The tagline for the marathon is “I am running against corruption”.
“Corruption in India seems to be a billion-dollar industry. It sends a wrong message to the youth, especially students. It is a malaise endemic to everyday life and the education sector has not remained unaffected,” Dabas said in a statement.
Dharmendra Singh, the union’s sports secretary, added: “As part of the campaign, we are also organising quiz competitions and other interactive activities in the campus to raise awareness against corruption. We are also organising self photo-shoots.”
The DU marathon with social issues as its focus was started in 2008. Last year its focus was the fight against terrorism.
- ABVP repeats 2002 performance, tops Delhi University polls (Lead) - Sep 04, 2010
- ABVP sweeps DUSU elections - Sep 04, 2010
- ABVP tops in Delhi University polls - Sep 04, 2010
- We miss classes due to Delhi Metro snags, students complain - Dec 07, 2010
- Tighten security for DU polls, says Delhi BJP - Sep 12, 2012
- Anna helps ABVP defeat NSUI in Delhi varsity polls - Sep 10, 2011
- Student unions march against fee hikes, fake admissions - Mar 21, 2012
- 'Dance India Dance' team conducts flash mobs in capital - Dec 24, 2011
- Delhi University goes to poll Friday amidst tight security - Sep 02, 2010
- Campaigning for Delhi University polls ends sans fervour - Sep 01, 2010
- Karunanidhi will be jailed soon: Subramanian Swamy - Feb 09, 2011
- 40 percent turnout in Delhi varsity student union polls (Lead) - Sep 04, 2010
- Haryana university student alleges gang-rape - May 18, 2012
- Delhi University all set for polls Friday - Sep 13, 2012
- Delhi University students march against corruption - Jul 27, 2011
Tags: corruption in india, delhi university, dharmendra, dollar industry, dusu, education sector, endemic, flashmob, gate students, india gate, interactive activities, jig, kilometre, malaise, neetu, s sports, self photo, students union, tagline, war memorial