Five polio cases detected in BiharFebruary 28th, 2009 - 5:56 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Feb 28 (IANS) Five new cases of polio have been detected in Bihar in the first two months of this year despite immunisation drive, an official in the state health department said Saturday.
This is three less than in Uttar Pradesh, which has had the highest incidence of the infection during 2008, a Unicef official said.
“It is sad to admit that five new polio cases surfaced in the state till the end of February,” the Bihar health official, who declined to be named, said.
The figures have raised an alarm across Bihar as many parents fear that their children might also catch the disease.
The Unicef official said of the five polio cases, two are P1 and three are P3 strain cases. “The detection of two new cases of P1 is a matter of serious concern,” he added.
He said eight new cases of polio have been detected in Uttar Pradesh and one in Delhi till Feb 27. Of the eight cases in Uttar Pradesh, four are of P1 and P3 each.
The battle against polio is far from over in Bihar, which recorded the second highest incidence of the disease in India last year after neighbouring Uttar Pradesh.
Bihar recorded 233 new polio cases in 2008, one of the highest since the polio immunisation drive was launched in the state nearly a decade ago, an official had said.
Bihar recorded 61 polio cases in 2006 and 193 cases in 2007.
- Bihar reported no polio case in last one year - Sep 12, 2011
- Families refuse polio drops in Bihar - Sep 21, 2011
- 100 cases this year, eradicating polio remains big challenge in Bihar - Nov 07, 2009
- 49 new polio cases detected in Bihar - Aug 24, 2009
- F1 champion on polio drive in Delhi - Oct 27, 2011
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains - Jan 11, 2012
- Bihar set to win battle against polio - Jul 29, 2010
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- In Uttar Pradesh bylanes, children help fight polio - Feb 03, 2011
- How battle against polio was won in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 24, 2011
- WHO finds polio virus in Delhi sewage - Feb 15, 2011
- Community mobilisers inch closer towards making India polio-free - Jan 31, 2011
- 2011 crucial for India to eradicate polio: WHO - Oct 24, 2011
- Muslim clerics join hands for polio eradication in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 28, 2011
- Huge response for Meerut polio rally - Jan 22, 2011