Five Jharkhand students die, 21 ill after drinking milk

November 13th, 2008 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS  

Ranchi, Nov 13 (IANS) Five tribal students died and 21 were hospitalised Thursday evening after eating snacks and drinking milk in a residential school in Ranchi’s Bero block, the police said. According to the police, the students of Adivasi Residential School at Baridih in Bero block, about 40 km from here, started vomiting and complained of stomach-ache after taking snacks and drinking milk.

The school children were taken to Rajendra Institute of Medical Science (RIMS), Ranchi.

Five of them were declared brought dead and 21 were hospitalised. The condition of nine children was said to be serious.

Jharkhand Chief Minister Shibu Soren and Human Resource Development Minister Bandhu Tirkey visited RIMS to take stock of the situation.

“No one found guilty in the death of the students will be spared,” Soren told reporters.

The Jharkhand government announced Rs.100,000 compensation to the kin of the dead students.

The doctors said the children were suffering from food poisoning and it could have been caused due to milk consumed in the evening.

A team of doctors have gone to the school to treat the other school students.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Health Science |

Subscribe