First tropical storm of Northern Indian Ocean cyclone season captured by NASAMay 19th, 2010 - 3:17 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 19 (ANI): NASA’s Aqua satellite has captured the formation of the first tropical storm of the Northern Indian Ocean cyclone season.
Tropical Storm 1B formed in the early morning hours as the convection around the low-level circulation centre increased since May 17.
NASA’s Aqua satellite captured a visible image of 1B from the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) at 7:25 UTC (12:25 p.m. Asia/Kolkata time) today, May 18, where it formed off of India’s east coast in the Bay of Bengal.
At 09:00 UTC (5 a.m. EDT or 2 p.m. Asia/Kolkata local time) on May 18, Tropical Storm 1B had maximum sustained winds near 40 knots (46 mph).
It was located about 285 nautical miles east-southeast of Chennai, India near 12.4 North and 84.5 East in the Bay of Bengal.
It is moving west-northwest near 13 knots (15 mph) and is forecast to continue in that direction, according to the Joint Typhoon Warning Center, the organization the forecasts tropical cyclones in that region.
Tropical Storm 1B is expected to intensify in the next two days as it moves closer to Chennai.
It is then forecast to make landfall south of Visakhapatham. (ANI)
- Cyclone Phyan broke 43-year record when it made landfall in India - Nov 14, 2009
- Cyclone Phet threatening the Indian and Pakistani coastlines - Jun 02, 2010
- Tropical Storm Vince about to U-turn away from Oz, finds NASA's Aqua - Jan 15, 2011
- NASA's satellite reveals that NIDA is a Category 5 Super Typhoon - Nov 26, 2009
- NASA's Terra satellite spots tropical cyclone Anja in southern Indian Ocean - Nov 17, 2009
- NASA's satellite captures Indian areas under heavy rainfall by Laila - May 21, 2010
- Tropical Storm Eugene forms in the Pacific, no threat to land - Jul 31, 2011
- Tropical depression forms in the far eastern Atlantic, may threaten the Caribbean - Aug 29, 2011
- Hurricane warning issued for Texas, Mexico as tropical storm Alex nears - Jun 29, 2010
- Tropical Storm Katia forms in the far eastern Atlantic, set to become major hurricane - Aug 30, 2011
- Tropical storm Tomas forms southeast of Barbados, could threaten Jamaica - Oct 30, 2010
- Tropical storm Colin forms in the Atlantic; no immediate threat to land - Aug 03, 2010
- Tropical Storm Aletta forms far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no threat - May 15, 2012
- New depression prompts tropical storm warnings in the Caribbean - Aug 21, 2012
- Tropical Depression Nine forms in the Atlantic, expected to strengthen - Sep 01, 2010
Tags: bay of bengal, chennai india, cyclone season, east southeast, joint typhoon warning, joint typhoon warning center, kolkata, landfall, maximum sustained winds, moderate resolution imaging, modis, moving west, nautical miles east, northern indian ocean, resolution imaging spectroradiometer, time today, tropical cyclones, typhoon warning center, visible image, west northwest