First images of elusive iron line in solar corona capturedJanuary 5th, 2010 - 2:47 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, January 5 (ANI): Ground-based observations by solar physicists have revealed the first images of the elusive near-infrared emission line of highly ionized iron, or Fe XI 789.2 nm, in the solar corona.
The observations were taken during total solar eclipses in 2006, 2008, and 2009 by astrophysicist Adrian Daw of NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, with an international team of scientists led by Shadia Habbal from the University of Hawaii’s Institute for Astronomy (IfA).
“The first image of the corona in Fe XI 789.2 nm was taken during the total solar eclipse of March 29, 2006,” said Daw.
The images revealed some surprises.
Most notably, that the emission extends out at least three solar radii - that’s one-and-a-half times the Sun’s width at its equator, or middle - above the surface of the Sun, and that there are localized regions of enhanced density for these iron ions.
Combined with observations of other iron charge states, the observations yield the two-dimensional distribution of electron temperature and charge-state measurements for the first time, and establish the first direct link between the distribution of charge states in the corona and in interplanetary space.
“These are the first such maps of the 2-D distribution of coronal electron temperature and ion charge state,” said Daw.
Mapping the distribution of electron temperature and iron charge states in the corona with total solar eclipse observations represents an important step in understanding the solar corona and how space weather impacts Earth. (ANI)
- Japanese satellite Hinode spots 2 huge holes in Sun - Feb 14, 2011
- Why Sun's outer atmosphere is millions of degrees hotter than its surface - Jan 07, 2011
- Electrical current between Saturn and its moon discovered - Apr 21, 2011
- Mercury found to have comet-like appearance - Sep 23, 2010
- NASA instrument shows never-before-seen Sun's innermost corona - Jan 05, 2011
- Physical mechanism behind 'sympathetic flares' on the Sun discovered - Dec 14, 2010
- During longest eclipse, a Chand ka Langar to break taboo - Jun 16, 2011
- NASA's MESSENGER set to orbit Mercury - Mar 09, 2011
- Scientists capture collision of a comet and Sun - May 25, 2010
- Total lunar eclipse on Saturday - Dec 07, 2011
- 'India's lunar mission found moon alive & kicking' - Jul 16, 2012
- Images of comet crashing into sun captured - May 25, 2010
- Experts predict onset of new cycle of solar-terrestrial activity - Aug 14, 2010
- Watch 'Ring of Fire' during Monday's solar eclipse - May 19, 2012
- India to miss partial solar eclipse - May 31, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,