First double-leg transplant carried out in SpainJuly 12th, 2011 - 10:11 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Madrid, Spain, July 12 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Spanish surgeons have successfully carried out the first double-leg transplant. The procedure started on Sunday night and the doctors managed to complete the procedure on Monday morning. The procedure was carried out at Universitari I Politcnic la Fe.
The surgeons were led by Doctor Pedro Cavadas and he was helped by a group doctors from the Pedro Cavades Foundation, Spanish National Transplant Organization and the Valencia regional authority. The doctors described the procedure as a highly complex one adding that they will be in a better position to give more information after 48 hours.
The operation is unprecedented and the doctors are not in the position to give details about the patient and the donor because the families have asked for confidentially. Doctor Cavadas is known for carrying out pioneering transplants.
In 2006, Doctor Cavadas carried out the first double forearm transplant. Two years later, Cavadas made another history when he successfully re-fixed the right leg of a 21-year-old man who was involved in a workplace accident.
However it was Doctor Cavadas’ 2009 procedure which won him worldwide fame. He successfully led surgeons to perform the first face transplant in the world.
Cavadas’ works has won him praise from the Spanish Health Minister, Leire Pajin.
- Spanish surgeon performs first transplant of two legs - Jul 12, 2011
- Spanish surgeon to perform world's first full leg transplant - Aug 08, 2010
- World's first double leg transplant to be performed in Spain - Nov 17, 2010
- Turkey conducts its first face transplant - Jan 22, 2012
- Hair-brained! Cheap transplants can damage scalp - Oct 12, 2011
- First-ever total face transplant carried out in France - Jul 08, 2010
- World's first quadruple limb transplant - Feb 26, 2012
- Second full-face transplant performed in Boston - Apr 29, 2011
- Hyderabad hospital performs rare kidney transplant - Aug 19, 2011
- Vietnamese man to be freed soon from his 90-kilo tumor - Jan 05, 2012
- World's first robot-assisted pancreas transplant performed - Nov 04, 2010
- First robotic double valve surgery done in Chennai - Mar 04, 2011
- Double-arm transplant performed in Mexico - Jun 09, 2012
- Cross blood group transplants conducted in India - Nov 11, 2011
- Liver transplant: Low cost gives Kerala an edge - Sep 07, 2010
Tags: doctors, double forearm transplant, double leg, first face transplant, forearm, health minister, leire pajin, madrid spain, monday morning, old man, pedro cavadas, regional authority, transplants, workplace accident, worldwide fame