Finnair’s Republic Day surprise: Bollywood jig by crewJanuary 27th, 2012 - 1:01 pm ICT by IANS
Helsinki, Jan 27 (IANS) This is something an air passenger will least expect on a flight even of an Indian carrier — a Bollywood jig by a foreign crew, all dressed in dazzling salwar kameez and traditional Indian attires!
That’s the surprise Finnair had in store for its passengers bound for New Delhi from its headquarters Helsinki on the Repubic Day Jan 26 when some 50 crew members danced to the tune of the title song of Bollywood film “Om Shanti Om” directed and choreographed by Farah Khan.
“Finnair congratulates India on Republic Day January 26 — clap your hands”, read the message on the in-flight video screens, followed by a stream of crew frolicking in, as the song ‘Deewangi Deewangi’ started playing.
The crew shook its leg, waved hands and gyrated in that all-familiar style that people are used to seeing in Indian films.
The sequence lasted some 2:30 minutes, with passengers — somewhat surprised, but seen enjoying every moment of it — also joining in by clapping their hands, taking pictures and some even tapping their own feet.
According to Finnair officials, the jig inside the aircraft was choreographed by one of the airline’s flight attendants, Helena Kaartinen.
“Really wonderful and an awesome performance to honour Indian Republic Day. We have to appreciate the universal love and friendship that Finnair extended,” wrote Rajendran Krishnan on the airline’s blog.
“Just enjoy! Don’t look for a meaning in everything,” added V. Iyer, obviously referring to some other bloggers who were not quite impressed.
The crew also had something to say: “It is kind of adorable when blond flight attendants sing and dance to Bollywood tunes. The brand not only wins some brownie points by way of cultural bonding but also positions itself as a fun brand.”
For those who did not fly Helsinki-New Delhi on Jan 26, the jig is also on Youtube:
- Finnair advance bookings surge by 25 percent - Feb 18, 2012
- Finnair starts maiden cargo service to India - Sep 16, 2011
- Finnair not averse to Kingfisher's direct flights to Helsinki - Sep 14, 2011
- Finnair to start daily Helsinki-Delhi service from January - Sep 07, 2010
- India demand spurs daily Delhi service by Finnair (Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
- Finnair deploys all-new fleet as traffic to India spurts - Mar 21, 2010
- Finnair introduces special facilities at 13 airports - Nov 05, 2011
- Kingfisher Airlines, Finnair enhance frequent flyer cooperation - Mar 18, 2011
- Finnair ties up with Kingfisher for smooth connectivity to Europe - Dec 19, 2010
- Photo on Delhi that made into final of Finnair competition (With Image) - Mar 21, 2012
- Finnair to test anti-jet lag headsets - Mar 10, 2012
- Finnair starts campaign to collect funds for Indian children - Dec 01, 2011
- Finnair sees India as key market for tourism, transit - Jun 07, 2012
- American Airlines to begin Chicago-Helsinki route - Oct 07, 2010
- Finnair to select passengers' ideas to improve quality - Nov 23, 2011
Tags: 30 minutes, airline, attires, bloggers, brownie points, clap your hands, crew members, farah khan, finnair, flight attendants, helena, helsinki, honour, indian films, indian republic day, jig, New Delhi, om, tunes, video screens