Fermented milk has therapeutic effect on chronic gastritisApril 10th, 2010 - 3:50 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 10 (ANI): Fermented milk is effective in the therapeutic treatment of chronic gastritis, according to a study.
Gastritis produced by acetyl-salicylic acid (ASA) consumption is a common disorder worldwide.
The use of probiotics has been proposed to ameliorate different gastrointestinal tract diseases such as inflammatory bowel disease, diarrhoea, irritable bowel syndrome, etc.
However, little attention has been paid to the use of probiotics in gastric disease.
The health-promoting effects ascribed to probiotic strains or fermented foods arise not only from bacteria themselves but also from the metabolites produced during fermentation such as exopolysaccharides (EPS).
These polymers have been claimed to modulate the immune response and to display anti-ulcer activities.
The new study indicates that the milk fermented with S. thermophilus CRL 1190 and/or its EPS was effective in the therapeutic treatment of chronic gastritis by modulating the immune response of the mice and by increasing the thickness of the gastric mucus gel layer.
The fermented milk showed a similar protective effect to omeprazole.
The application of this fermented milk and/or its EPS constitutes a potential natural alternative for the prevention and treatment of ASA-associated gastric damage.
The study will be published in the World Journal of Gastroenterology. (ANI)
- Probiotic to treat ulcers identified - Feb 25, 2011
- Probiotic bacteria 'could help in Crohn's disease therapy' - Apr 01, 2011
- 'Good bacteria' in yogurt may not be as healthy as you think! - Dec 27, 2010
- New probiotic fights inflammatory bowel diseases - Feb 01, 2011
- Estrogen found to protect against gastric cancer - Jul 18, 2011
- New probiotic can treat irritable bowels - Feb 01, 2011
- Genes causing arthritis isolated - Jul 12, 2011
- Prebiotic helps lower colon cancer risk: study - May 04, 2012
- Some probiotics better in surviving, promoting health - Feb 23, 2012
- Study validates gastric anti-ulcer properties of herb medicine Rocket 'Eruca sativa' - May 08, 2009
- Gut bug may hold key to inflammatory bowel disease treatment - Jan 20, 2010
- Vaccine to prevent gastritis, ulcer disease, gastric cancer on the anvil - Feb 03, 2011
- Designer probiotics could help in the fight against obesity - Dec 23, 2010
- Peppermint relieves irritable bowel disorder - Apr 20, 2011
- Cheese boosts seniors' immune systems - May 14, 2010
Tags: asa, chronic gastritis, crl, diarrhoea, exopolysaccharides, gastrointestinal, gastrointestinal tract diseases, immune response, inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, metabolites, mucus, omeprazole, probiotics, salicylic acid, strains, therapeutic effect, therapeutic treatment, thermophilus, ulcer