Fear of divorce deters live-in couples from marriageDecember 18th, 2011 - 7:19 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 18 (IANS) Fear of divorce deters live-in couples from marriage, especially its social, legal, emotional and economic ramifications, says a new US study.
Demographers Sharon Sassler, professor of policy analysis and management, and Dela Kusi-Appouh, doctoral student in development sociology, both at Cornell University, conducted the study.
Roughly 67 percent of the study respondents shared their worries about divorce. However, middle-class subjects spoke more favourably about tying the knot and viewed cohabitation as a natural stepping stone to marriage.
However, lower-income women, disproportionately expressed doubts about the “trap” of marriage, fearing that it could be hard to exit if things go wrong or it would lead to more responsibilities but few benefits.
The study also found working-class live-in couples were more apt to view marriage as “just a piece of paper,” nearly identical to their existing relationship.
They were also twice as likely to admit fears about being stuck in marriage with no way out once they were relying on their partners’ share of income to get by.
- 'Marriage becoming elite middle-class institution in UK' - Dec 23, 2009
- Getting engaged before moving in can cut break-up risk - Jul 24, 2010
- No money, no marriage - a new trend? - Nov 27, 2010
- Marriage 'doesn't stabilize relationships' - Jul 07, 2010
- Serial cohabiters less likely than others to marry - Nov 07, 2008
- Nonstandard work schedules harmful for cohabiting parents - Nov 12, 2010
- Couples who pray together really do stay together - Aug 13, 2010
- Divorced couples' kids lag in math, social skills - Jun 02, 2011
- Dumb blonde? Jokes apart, they're bright - Jan 17, 2011
- Jealousy much more damaging when married - Feb 07, 2010
- Live-in relationship no guarantee to alimony (Lead) - Oct 21, 2010
- Living together before marriage doesn't increase divorce risk: Study - Mar 04, 2010
- Married couples less likely to split up than cohabiting pairs - Mar 26, 2010
- Americans increasingly seeking counselling before entering into relationships - Sep 04, 2010
- Kids who go to comprehensive school 'suffer no disadvantages in later life' - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: class subjects, cohabitation, cornell university, couples, development sociology, divorce, doctoral student, doubts, economic ramifications, fear, fears, income women, marriage, middle class, piece of paper, relationship, respondents, stepping stone, tying the knot, worries