Fat man forces passenger to stand seven hours in planeNovember 25th, 2011 - 10:38 am ICT by IANS
New York, Nov 25 (IANS) An American businessman had to stand for an exhausting seven-hour flight from Alaska to Philadelphia because an obese fellow passenger was taking up half his seat.
Arthur Berkowitz, 57, said a 400-pound man (around 181 kg) squeezed next to his seat on a flight from Anchorage, the New York Post reported.
“He was the last one to board, and as he walked down to me, he said, ‘I really want to apologize. I’m your worst nightmare’,” Berkowitz was quoted as saying.
“He was a cordial person. But the facts are, he took half my seat, and half the seat of an exchange student who was pinned up against the window.”
Berkowitz said he spent the majority of the time of flight on his feet.
“As the arm rests were up, and due to his girth, he covered about half my seat,” he said. “I notified the stewardess that this is unacceptable and unsafe.”
Berkowitz could not also move up to the business class as the plane was full, and he was also not allowed use of a flight-attendant seat.
“So I walked up and down. I tell people I didn’t fly from Anchorage to Philadelphia — I walked there!” he said.
Berkowitz said the obese man should have been charged for two seats, and he is calling on airlines to amend their rules.
Later Berkowitz, who spent $800 on the trip, got in return a $200 voucher.
- Tantrum throwing Faye Dunaway denied upgrades on flights - Feb 21, 2011
- Two-metre tall US passenger forced to stand on flight due to his height - Jan 10, 2011
- British Airways steward jailed for hoax bomb threat - Aug 18, 2012
- Widowed Liam Neeson in love again? - Oct 14, 2010
- Richard Branson to serve as 'stewardess' after losing a bet - Nov 15, 2010
- 'Toddler(Rile Williamson) in overhead bin' prank costs a flight steward his job - Mar 07, 2011
- California woman kicked off from flight after accusing captain of drinking - Aug 06, 2010
- Brit couple lose 15st after being made to sit apart on plane - Mar 17, 2010
- Virgin's 'sexy stewardesses' ad gives wings to male fantasies - Oct 02, 2010
- New weight-loss mantra for teens: ditch the diet shakes and bars - Dec 21, 2010
- Branson to work as air hostess on AirAsia flight - Nov 17, 2010
- Son of Sam Parole: David Berkowitz Stays Put - May 12, 2010
- Meet Britain's oldest newlyweds, with a combined age of 184 - Jul 26, 2010
- Britain's consumer spending slows in March - Apr 24, 2012
- Half-empty stands in sold-out Dhaka WC practice match - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: airlines, american businessman, anchorage, berkowitz, business class, exchange student, fellow passenger, flight attendant, fly, girth, kg, new york post, obese man, philadelphia, pound man, seven hours, stewardess, time of flight, voucher, worst nightmare