Families in Britain to pay ‘death tax’?October 10th, 2011 - 8:06 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 10 (IANS) Families in Britain may have to pay a ‘death tax’ of 170 pounds before laying their loved ones to rest.
Meant to improve the quality and accuracy of death statistics and medical certificates of all non-coroner referred deaths, the government proposals would see relatives having to pay out the sum before they can bury their loved ones, the Daily Mail reported.
The government proposals for debate in the Commons this week would hit families with a minimum charge to check the cause of death when a relative passes away. The tax would be used to help clarify cause of death and in the long run would allow doctors to plot trends in illnesses.
The new scheme would be applied to around 490,000 deaths every year, affecting more than 1,000 families a day, and would hit families with a minimum charge to check the cause of death.
Nearly 1,000 medical examiners would be appointed on a salary of up to 81,500 pounds a year to ensure that doctors fill in forms properly with the accurate cause of death.
- Now you can call an expert home for filing IT return - Jul 24, 2012
- Hooker Donna Asutaits jailed for tax evasion - Jul 10, 2012
- Obama proposes minimum tax on foreign profits - Feb 23, 2012
- Michael Jackson's former general manager pleads guilty to tax charges - Jun 23, 2011
- Britain to cut 500,000 public sector jobs - Oct 20, 2010
- Delhi residents seek rollback of service tax on hospitals - Mar 02, 2011
- Erica Blasberg Committed Suicide - Aug 25, 2010
- Gains and losses from Budget 2012-13 - Mar 16, 2012
- 18 affordable health kiosks set up in Bangalore - Aug 05, 2012
- Report: Three-headed baby born in Sumatra, Indonesia - Oct 31, 2011
- Income tax exemption limit raised to Rs.2 lakh (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Day after budget people wonder if they are really better off - Mar 01, 2011
- Anderson in tax trouble - Apr 17, 2012
- Punjab opposes service tax on foreign remittances - Jul 08, 2012
- Proposed tax law change 'clarificatory', says Pranab - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,