Fading olfactory sense foreshadows Parkinson’s diseaseDecember 12th, 2008 - 1:55 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 12 (IANS) People suffering from Parkinson’s disease recall losing their olfactory sense long before the onset of more commonly recognised symptoms like impaired dexterity, speech problems and memory loss. Researchers from Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, US and its memorial hospital are participating in a national study to determine whether fading olfactory sense signals Parkinson’s.
Nearly a million people in the US are affected by Parkinson’s, which stems from premature ageing of dopamine producing cells in the brain, and the number is likely to grow as the population ages.
By the time Parkinson’s disease is detected, most individuals have already experienced a 60 to 70 percent loss of dopamine producing cells in the brain, according to a Northwestern release.
“Very little is known about the early stages of this disease,” said Tanya Simuni, associate professor of neurology at Feinberg School.
“By utilising smell testing in conjunction with other tests, we hope to develop a system that identifies the presence of Parkinson’s before it develops into problematic symptoms,” she added.
Evaluating 7,500 relatives for three to five years, the study draws from research demonstrating that close family like mothers, fathers, siblings or children have a slightly higher risk of developing the disease.
- Fading sense of smell may indicate onset of Parkinson''s disease - Dec 12, 2008
- Toxin that plays key role in triggering Parkinson's disease identified - Feb 11, 2011
- Two genes tell how Parkinson's progresses - Feb 13, 2012
- Doctors fail to nip Parkinson's in the bud - Apr 16, 2012
- Drug that stops progression of Parkinson's disease in mice found - Mar 09, 2011
- Pesticides near workplace raises Parkinson's risk: Study - May 28, 2011
- Severe flu doubles odds of developing Parkinson's - Jul 22, 2012
- Protein behind Alzheimer's patients loss of smell? - Sep 29, 2011
- Naturally occurring brain mechanism ups Parkinson's understanding - Feb 12, 2011
- Dead brain cells erode memory - Dec 29, 2011
- Brain protects sense of smell when blocked - Aug 13, 2012
- Gene that causes Parkinson's disease identified - Jul 29, 2010
- This substance tricks brain to ease Parkinson's - Apr 21, 2011
- Stomach hormone can slow down Parkinson's disease - Nov 27, 2009
- Sleep disorder could lead to Parkinson's disease - Jul 31, 2011