Facebook malware attack spreading quicklyMay 31st, 2010 - 2:15 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, May 31 (ANI): Social networking site Facebook faced a third phishing attack on the weekend, with a malware, which steals login credentials and even gets home addresses, being downloaded through a video.
According to WebSense, the malware is spread via a “hilarious video” posted to Facebook walls, which when clicked, produces a form requesting login information, reports the Sydney Morning Herald.
The attack then returns one to Facebook, installs an app called “Media Player HD”, and asks one to download the “FLV player”, which upon doing so installs malware on the machine.
And that is not the only way it attacks. Depending on the location, one may also be presented with a contest to win an iPad, and all one would have to do is enter the home address.
In order to avoid the malware, one needs to remove the “hilarious video” if found on the Facebook wall.
And if it is seen elsewhere on Facebook, users are to remember not to click on it, and to of course remember the obvious rule: Don’t enter your Facebook login anywhere other than on Facebook.com.
In case a person has already clicked on it, all he or she needs to do is change the Facebook password, uninstall the Facebook app (often called “Media Player HD”), and run a virus/malware scan on the computer. (ANI)
- Warning for Facebook users: 'Sexiest video' message contains malware - May 19, 2010
- 'Hacker' application on Facebook stealing users' personal info - Aug 18, 2010
- 'Sexiest video ever' spreads virus on Facebook - May 18, 2010
- Firewalls can help hackers break into Facebook, Twitter - May 22, 2012
- Arrests made in malware fraud case which infected millions of computers worldwide - Nov 10, 2011
- 'Clickjacking' epidemic spreads across Facebook - Jun 04, 2010
- Beware of Valentine's spam, warns IT security firm - Feb 13, 2012
- Cyber criminals to target social networks, mobile devices: Security Report - Apr 06, 2011
- Beware: Ads in mobile apps fraught with security risk - Mar 20, 2012
- Firms warn staff of iPhone, iPad hacking - Feb 11, 2011
- Facebook stops 600,000 hacking attempts daily - Oct 29, 2011
- Facebook to launch own app store - May 10, 2012
- Top US officials' gmail hit by Chinese phishing - Jun 02, 2011
- 20pc of Facebook users exposed to malware - Nov 25, 2010
- Be Wary Of Rogue App In Facebook! - Jul 07, 2010