Facebook drive brings in rain gear for poor kidsJuly 6th, 2012 - 4:43 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, July 6 (IANS) The severe monsoon of Goa will now not hold back over 200 children from poor families from attending school.
Thanks to a civil society initiative, the students from an open school have been given rainwear and umbrellas, collected with the help of a Facebook-led donation drive, ‘The Umbrella Project’.
“The idea was to help under-privileged children get to school during the rain. We used Facebook to leverage the idea. This was the first time we tried it,” Millisha Silveira, who anchored the initiative, told IANS Friday.
“We received around 200 umbrellas and rainwear which donors dropped at the Goa Chamber of Commerce and Industry office that served as a collection centre.”
The umbrellas and rainwear were donated to the Loyola National Open School in Navelim village, 45 km from here, where students from underprivileged background study.
“Often it is a problem to coax children from slums to go to school during rain. And in Goa, it rains for days on end. They cannot afford to buy rainwear and you also cannot blame them if they cannot make it to school. So the rain gear really helps,” open school headmaster Krishnanand Desai said.
- Make a fashion splash with your monsoon rainwear - Jun 19, 2011
- Kerala schools reopen after two-month break - Jun 04, 2012
- Village downs shutters protesting pollution from Goa plant - Aug 27, 2012
- Organ seekers on social networks more successful - May 24, 2012
- Voices against Goa's 'no fail' policy till Class 8 - May 14, 2011
- Unicef, Finnair collect 45,000 euros for Indian kids - May 08, 2011
- Finnair to donate to UNICEF campaign for Indian children - Dec 12, 2010
- Old Cottonians gift a Parents' Room to alma mater - Jun 06, 2011
- Former Goa minister gets Pakistani 'bookie' SMS - Apr 08, 2011
- School kids donate clothes on Children's Day - Nov 14, 2009
- School children work on 'designs for change' - Jul 30, 2012
- Poor kids' paintings inspire Global Desi's collection (With Images) - May 14, 2012
- Zac Efron donates his clothes - Dec 12, 2011
- Abhay Deol, Neha Dhupia support child education - Jan 20, 2012
- Raj Babbar felicitated for 'Bodyguard' success - Sep 04, 2011
Tags: background study, chamber of commerce and industry, desai, donors, facebook, goa, monsoon, poor families, poor kids, privileged children, rain gear, rainwear, school headmaster, school thanks, silveira, slums, society initiative, umbrella project, umbrellas, underprivileged background