Extra virgin olive oil helps combat breast cancerFebruary 6th, 2009 - 12:44 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 6 (ANI): Spanish researchers have found that extra virgin olive oil can help fight breast cancer.
Researchers of the Catalonian Institute of Oncology (ICO) and the University of Granada (Spain) have verified the bioactivity of the polyphenols present in extra virgin olive oil in breast cancer cell lines.
The work, carried out by Javier A. Menendez, of the Catalonian Institute of Oncology (ICO), in collaboration with Professors Alberto Fernandez Gutierrez and Antonio Segura Carretero, of the University of Granada, has been published in the journal BMC Cancer.
The study has proved the anti-HER2 effect of fractions of phenolic compounds directly extracted of extra virgin olive oil in breast cancer cell lines. They have used solid-phase extraction methods of semi-preparative liquid chromatography to isolate fractions of commercial oils and, later, separation techniques (capillary electrophoresis and liquid chromatography connected to mass spectrometry) to check the purity and composition of the fractions.
Such fractions were tested in their anti-cancer capacity both against positive HER2 and negative HER2 breast cancers, using in Vitro models and evaluating the effect of polyphenolic fractions in the expression and activation of HER2 oncoprotein through ELISA specific methods for HER2.
Fractions containing polyphonels such as hydroxitirosol, tirosol, elenolic acid, lignans, pinoresinol and acetopinoresinol, and secoiridoids, diacetox oleuropein aglycone, ligustrosid aglycone and oleuropein aglycone were able to induce important tumoricid effects in a range of micromolar and in a selective way against HER2 oncogene.
Therefore, the study confirms the potentiality of polyphenols to inhibit HER2 activity and to promote its degradation. (ANI)
- Olive oil may help fight cancer - Dec 18, 2008
- How olive oil can help fight breast cancer - Dec 22, 2008
- Extra-virgin olive oil protects liver - Oct 29, 2010
- 'Olive oil increases life expectancy' - Oct 16, 2010
- Olive oil protects against breast cancer: Study - Jul 03, 2010
- Olive oil helps breast cancer survivors lose weight - Jun 04, 2010
- Here's how Mediterranean diet keeps you healthy - Apr 20, 2010
- How a Mediterranean diet rich in olive oil protects against heart disease - Jul 01, 2010
- Italy lays out pasta, cheese for Delhi homes - Nov 10, 2010
- Rachael Ray: Rachel Bilson Gives Fashion Advice - Oct 12, 2011
- Bill Clinton Stars on 'Rachael Ray' Show - Sep 20, 2011
- Smoking ups death risk due to breast cancer - Nov 09, 2010
- 'Wonderdrug' keeps breast cancer away - Feb 25, 2011
- Dr Oz Features Alternative Medicines - Sep 22, 2011
- Here's what makes olive oil beneficial for health - Jun 29, 2010
Tags: aglycone, antonio segura, breast cancer, breast cancer researchers, breast cancers, cancer cell, capillary electrophoresis, combat breast cancer, commercial oils, elenolic acid, extra virgin olive oil, fight breast cancer, granada spain, oleuropein, phenolic compounds, preparative liquid chromatography, solid phase extraction, spanish researchers, university of granada, virgin olive oil