Extinct ibex brought back to life by cloningFebruary 1st, 2009 - 11:59 am ICT by ANI
London, Feb 1 (ANI): Pyrenean ibex, a form of wild mountain goat, has been resurrected for the first time after being cloned from frozen tissue.
The animal was officially declared extinct in 2000 when the last-known animal of its kind was found dead in northern Spain, reports the Telegraph.
But shortly before its death, researchers preserved skin samples of the goat a subspecies of the Spanish ibex that live in mountain ranges across the country in liquid nitrogen.
By using DNA taken from the skin samples, the scientists were able to replace the genetic material in eggs from domestic goats, to clone a female Pyrenean ibex.
It is the first time an extinct animal has been cloned.
Sadly, the newborn ibex kid died shortly after birth due to physical defects in its lungs. Other cloned animals, including sheep, have been born with similar lung defects.
The breakthrough has raised hopes that it will be possible to save endangered and newly extinct species by resurrecting them from frozen tissue.
Along with colleagues from the National Research Institute of Agriculture and Food in Madrid, Dr Jose Folch, from the Centre of Food Technology and Research of Aragon, in Zaragoza, northern Spain, led the research.
He said: “The delivered kid was genetically identical to the bucardo. In species such as bucardo, cloning is the only possibility to avoid its complete disappearance.” (ANI)
- A zoo of extinct animals; 'Jurassic Park'-style - Jul 02, 2010
- Extinct woolly mammoth could be reborn in four years - Jan 14, 2011
- Animal Cloning: Fighting Bull Cloned in Spain - May 20, 2010
- 'Healthy mammoth could be reborn in 4 or 5 years' - Jan 14, 2011
- Extinct Species DNA Featured On 60 Minutes In CBS - May 31, 2010
- Scientists getting closer to resurrect extinct animals - Jan 11, 2010
- Siberian fragments may help resurrect mammoth - Sep 12, 2012
- Penguins rally from brink of extinction - Feb 27, 2012
- Woolly mammoth to be brought back to life in five years - Dec 04, 2011
- Russian, South Korean scientists vow to revive mammoth - Mar 14, 2012
- Boffins identify donkey ancestors, people who domesticated them - Jul 29, 2010
- Viral infection hits Himalayan blue sheep in wild - Sep 20, 2012
- Rare bird thought extinct now declared alive - Sep 28, 2011
- Kashmir varsity produces world's first cloned pashmina goat - Mar 13, 2012
- World's first handmade cloned sheep produced in China - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: aragon, bucardo, cloning, disappearance, extinct animal, extinct species, food technology, frozen tissue, genetic material, goats, liquid nitrogen, london feb, mountain goat, mountain ranges, northern spain, pyrenean ibex, skin samples, spanish ibex, subspecies, wild mountain goat