Experts recommend universal infant hepatitis B immunisationJanuary 20th, 2009 - 12:30 pm ICT by IANS
Toronto, Jan 20 (IANS) Medical experts have recommended that all countries should offer infant immunisation for hepatitis-B.Studies suggest that roughly a third of chronic hepatitis-B infections are acquired during infancy and early childhood.
While vaccination for adolescents offers protection, booster shots are unnecessary for those who were immunised as babies.
In Canada, British Columbia (BC), New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island are the only provinces to offer universal hepatitis-B vaccination to infants.
The incidence of acute hepatitis-B in BC is now consistently below the national average, after years of having a higher incidence rate. Globally, 98 percent of universal hepatitis B immunisation programmes are offered in infancy.
“The few jurisdictions that continue to offer universal immunisation in adolescence rather than infancy should consider changing to an infant programme,” wrote Christopher Mackie of McMaster University and co-author of the study, said a McMaster release.
The analysis appeared in the Canadian Medical Association Journal.
- Hepatitis awareness programme launched for Mumbai slums - Jul 28, 2012
- Kerala kids to get new pentavalent vaccine shots - Dec 06, 2011
- Hepatitis could kill 5 mn in Southeast Asia: WHO - Jul 24, 2012
- Beware! You may be more vulnerable to hepatitis than you think (July 28 is World Hepatitis Day) - Jul 27, 2012
- Hormone replacement therapy tied to breast cancer - Dec 30, 2011
- Agartala kicks off mission to become Hepatitis free - Apr 15, 2012
- Ensure Hepatitis-B vaccine in hospitals, Uttar Pradesh told (Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Tripura launches 'at birth vaccination' for Hepatitis B - Jan 07, 2011
- Judge's complaint on Hepatitis-B to be heard as PIL - Apr 15, 2011
- New meningitis vaccine could save thousands - Jun 10, 2011
- India to scale up its immunisation programmes: Azad - Aug 02, 2011
- Music training benefits babies' brains - May 10, 2012
- 650,000 to get Hepatitis B vaccine in Tripura by 2011 - Nov 22, 2010
- Cuba to start clinical trials of pneumonia vaccine - May 04, 2012
- Five-in-one vaccine led to child deaths: experts - Jul 29, 2010
Tags: acute hepatitis, booster shots, british columbia bc, canadian medical association, canadian medical association journal, chronic hepatitis, co author, hepatitis, hepatitis b, hepatitis b immunisation, hepatitis b vaccination, incidence rate, infancy and early childhood, mackie, mcmaster university, medical association journal, medical experts, new brunswick, prince edward island, universal infant