Experimental vaccine against Alzheimer’s disease createdOctober 9th, 2010 - 1:57 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Oct 9 (ANI): Researchers have successfully created an experimental vaccine against the small protein that forms plaques in the brain and is believed to contribute to the development of Alzheimer’s disease.
Compared with similar so-called DNA vaccines that the UT Southwestern researchers tested in an animal study, new study states experimental vaccine stimulated more than 10 times as many antibodies that bind to and eliminate beta-amyloid.
“The antibody is specific; it binds to plaque in the brain. It doesn’t bind to brain tissue that does not contain plaque. This approach shows promise in generating enough antibodies to be useful clinically in treating patients,” said Roger Rosenberg, senior author of the study.
The next step in the research is to test long-term safety in animals, Dr. Rosenberg said.
“After seven years developing this vaccine, we are hopeful it will not show any significant toxicity, and that we will be able to develop it for human use,” he added.
The results appeared in the journal Vaccine. (ANI)
- Potent new vaccine found effective against Alzheimer's - Jun 08, 2012
- Scientists eliminate plaque formation in Alzheimer's - Sep 06, 2012
- Chronic high cholesterol diet leads to brain damage: Study - Nov 25, 2010
- Proteins responsible for Alzheimer's 'may spread through infection' - Oct 22, 2010
- Iron overload may speed up Alzheimer's - Sep 11, 2010
- Turmeric-based drug being tested against Alzheimer's - Feb 15, 2012
- Sleep disorders are early signs of Alzheimer's - Sep 06, 2012
- Asthma drug could help fight Alzheimer's disease - Mar 26, 2011
- Key target molecule for Alzheimer's therapy identified - Jul 31, 2010
- Drug reverses Alzheimer's symptoms in mice: Study - Feb 10, 2012
- Novel gene therapy shows promise against Alzheimer's - Mar 05, 2011
- New approach to treat Alzheimer's disease - Oct 07, 2009
- Key Alzheimer's risk gene causes alterations in shapes of brain protein deposits - Jul 15, 2010
- Liver, not brain, may be source of Alzheimer's plaques - Mar 04, 2011
- Asthma drug could help fight Alzheimer's - Mar 27, 2011
Tags: animal study, animals, antibodies, antibody, beta amyloid, brain tissue, dna vaccines, experimental vaccine, plaque, plaques, protein, rosenberg, seven years, southwestern researchers, study states, term safety, toxicity