Experimental hepatitis C drug shows promiseDecember 4th, 2009 - 2:06 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec 4 (ANI): An experimental drug for hepatitis B has been found extremely effective in the trials conducted over chimpanzees, say researchers.
The medication, dubbed SPC3649, has been found to inhibit the virus in chimpanzees and researchers hope it would help treat chronic infections in humans also.
It uses a proprietary nucleic acid called “locked nucleic acid” developed by Danish pharmaceutical company Santaris Pharma.
The nucleic acid captures the microRNA122 molecule that hepatitis C virus (HCV) uses to replicate.
“Our collaboration with proved that the drug worked exceptionally well in treating HCV infections in chimpanzees,” ABC Science quoted Dr Robert Lanford, the lead author of the research as saying.
The researchers said SPC3649 could in the future be used to replace interferon in some treatments, and combined with interferon and ribavirin in a cocktail in other instances.
“This antiviral could be used alone to treat disease progression and there are indications that it can convert interferon non-responders to responders, so that non-responders to the current therapy could be treated with the combination of this drug with interferon,” said Lanford.
The treatment is undergoing “human clinical trials and is currently undergoing Phase 1 clinical studies in healthy volunteers.” (ANI)
- Success of hepatitis C treatment may depend on genetic variant - Jun 13, 2010
- Coffee can cure hepatitis C - Jun 08, 2011
- Hepatitis C vaccine undergoing trials - Aug 16, 2012
- First clinical trials on potent new hepatitis C drug successfully completed - Sep 04, 2010
- New find may offer protection against hepatitis C treatment-related anemia - Jan 26, 2011
- Clinical trial offers hope for Hepatitis C patients - Mar 15, 2011
- Hepatitis C virus infection linked to fat enzyme in liver cells - Oct 11, 2010
- Trials start on potent new hepatitis C drug - May 15, 2010
- How interferon-induced genes launch antiviral defenses - Apr 11, 2011
- Integrate Hepatitis C testing with HIV: NGOs - Oct 21, 2011
- Shark liver compound could treat dengue, hepatitis - Sep 20, 2011
- Drug cocktail shows promise against hepatitis C - Mar 31, 2011
- First vaccine for viral hepatitis C may soon become a reality - Apr 02, 2011
- Trials begin on potent new Hepatitis C drug - May 15, 2010
- Researchers keep hepatitis C at bay after liver transplant - Jan 01, 2010
Tags: abc science, chimpanzees, chronic infections, cocktail, disease progression, dr robert, experimental drug, hcv infections, hepatitis, hepatitis b, hepatitis c, hepatitis c virus, human clinical trials, interferon and ribavirin, molecule, nucleic acid, pharmaceutical company, phase 1, santaris, virus hcv