Ex-Austrian emperor’s underwear sold for over $8,000May 10th, 2012 - 12:59 pm ICT by IANS
Vienna, May 10 (IANS) A collector has bought a pair of underwear belonging to Austrian emperor Franz Joseph I for 6,250 euros (over $8,000) during an auction in Vienna, Xinhua reported.
According to ORF news, the underwear bears embroidered initials made by the Royal Household laundry. Prepared in 1894, it was initially valued at 3,000 euros before being bid up to its final sale price.
The auction was held to sell various items from the Austrian imperial family, including a ceremonial staff for the Hungarian Royal Crown that was sold for 61,300 euros, and items belonging to Empress Elizabeth “Sissi”.
Other items at the auction included silverware belonging to Emperor Ferdinand I which was sold for 55,200 euros, as well as other items including a part of the Empress’ veil sold for 350 euros and a hunting bugle which belonged to the Princes of the Schwarzenberg family for 2,750 euros.
- Chinese imperial relics sold for $48 mn - Mar 27, 2011
- Hitler's bedsheets up for auction - Nov 25, 2011
- Emerald brooch of Russian empress sold for over $1.6 mn - Apr 23, 2010
- Ferrari to auction F1 items to help Italian quake victims - Jun 01, 2012
- Victor Hugo collection auctioned off for $4.2 mn - Apr 05, 2012
- Johnny Cash Jumpsuit Ropes In $50,000 At Auction - Dec 11, 2010
- Rare Napoleon letter sold for $400,000 - Jun 12, 2012
- Personal belongings of Queen Victoria up for auction - Nov 01, 2011
- Three kg cocaine seized in Austria - May 04, 2012
- Largest gold coin sold at $4 mn in Austria - Jun 26, 2010
- Colonial era family silver set for auction (With images) - Aug 10, 2012
- Ming Vase auctioned for $1.38 million - Mar 21, 2011
- Elvis' bible sold - Sep 10, 2012
- Yves Saint Laurent, Pierre Berge auction raises 4m euros so far - Nov 19, 2009
- Britain's Royal Mail sells off undelivered items - May 16, 2011
Tags: auction, austrian emperor, bugle, emperor ferdinand, emperor franz joseph, empress elizabeth, household laundry, hunting, imperial family, initials, princes, royal crown, royal household, underwear, veil, vienna, xinhua